Home » Community » Feature this!  » Howard Street Bridge ring
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Howard Street Bridge ring [message #24647] Wed, 09 March 2011 12:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Check out this model!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_iSF92uXnHLo/TK_tCx6nDII/AAAAAAAAD5U/co9XsxNhIgM/s800/IMG_20101009_000847.jpg

It's a replica of the double-arched Howard Street Bridge in Baltimore.

http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4b/HSbridge.jpg/300px-HSbridge.jpg

An interesting thing about this model is that the beams of the bridge are actual I-beams, and the model really prints! I think it is because the original bridge was designed to support itself, so copying that design leads toa shape which also will support itself with 3d printing. The I-beams are less than .5mm square!

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Howard Street Bridge ring [message #24649 is a reply to message #24647 ] Wed, 09 March 2011 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Wow, can't believe that printed! I always laugh when I see that bridge, so colorful, it just seems out of place. Isn't there a pink and orange one? I haven't been to the city in a while

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Howard Street Bridge ring [message #24651 is a reply to message #24649 ] Wed, 09 March 2011 14:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
The detail is so good you can even make out that the I-beams are actual I-beams and not just square!

Being right next to the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) and the Station North Arts District, it seems to make sense.

I've printed one of each of the two howard street bridge models. They both printed the first time with no failure notice.

www.Custom3dStuff.com

Previous Topic:Robotic Animals and Deceptive Boxes
Next Topic:Sprinter Lighttrain

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.