Home »  » General Discussion » How do I know if my texture worked?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How do I know if my texture worked? [message #24345] Tue, 01 March 2011 00:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar Hideous  is currently offline Hideous
Go to all my models
So uh, if I upload an .x3d model together with a texture... How do I know it worked? Since right now it's just showing as white on my design's preview page, I have no idea if I did it right or not.
Re: How do I know if my texture worked? [message #24346 is a reply to message #24345 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 00:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hiya Hideous,

If it is white than I don't think it worked, it 'should' be color in the preview.

Is it a bitmap in a zip file for color map?
Re: How do I know if my texture worked? [message #24347 is a reply to message #24346 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 00:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yeah, I put a jpeg in the zip-file next to the .x3d model. Having never exported to this format from Blender before I guess I might've done something wrong?
Re: How do I know if my texture worked? [message #24350 is a reply to message #24347 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 06:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Following advice from Dizingof, my workflow for textures goes like this;
Create model,
apply texture,
export as Wavefront .obj,
load .obj into AccuTrans3D if everything looks ok save as VRML .wrl,
open .wrl file in Word Pad check texture image path and filename,
save,
zip .wrl with image and upload

Your item should be coloured in the static preview e.g. Eyes Die D6... the model has no colour in the 3d view.

Having said that, I don't use Blender, so your mileage may vary.
Re: How do I know if my texture worked? [message #24355 is a reply to message #24345 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 15:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Since I don't have AccuTrans3D and I don't enjoy having shareware littering around on my computer, I managed to do some manual editing of the file to get it to work.

For future reference, add this between the <Appearance> tags and after the <Material> tag if your texture doesn't work:

<ImageTexture DEF="texture" url="texture.jpg" />
Re: How do I know if my texture worked? [message #24368 is a reply to message #24355 ] Tue, 01 March 2011 20:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
AccuTrans3D may be a $20 piece of shareware software, but it is a good bit of kit.

Neways, happy to see you got your issue sorted Smile

Previous Topic:3d view of uploaded models?
Next Topic:Create the Future contest

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.