Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Work in progress » Something missing?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Something missing? [message #24226] Thu, 24 February 2011 21:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar mavos  is currently offline mavos
Go to all my models
Hi,
In the screenshot in 'my designs' it looks like some parts of the model are missing.
Can I be sure that this will not be the case in the real 3d printed model?

regards,
Mavos

[Updated on: Thu, 24 February 2011 21:28 UTC]

Re: Something missing? [message #24227 is a reply to message #24226 ] Thu, 24 February 2011 21:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Missing parts is a common occurance, usually the fault is with the software used to create the model, sometimes the fault is the way the the model is put together to form one mesh at upload time.

Your best bet is to grab yourself a copy of AccuTrans 3D and have a look at what is going on with your meshes. NetFabb Studio Basic is also a great piece of software for analysing and repairing your models... the NetFabb people also have an online service Netfabb Cloud for analysis and repair.

Re: Something missing? [message #24228 is a reply to message #24227 ] Thu, 24 February 2011 22:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
and if it is looking okay in Accutrans, does that then mean that is will be okay when fabricating or not? Because in Accutrans nothing was missing...

[Updated on: Thu, 24 February 2011 22:11 UTC]

Re: Something missing? [message #24229 is a reply to message #24228 ] Thu, 24 February 2011 22:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Did you use the 'Align Normals' feature (lower area of the 'Layers' pane)? - mis-aligned normals show as red
Re: Something missing? [message #24258 is a reply to message #24229 ] Fri, 25 February 2011 19:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
You can always download the .stl and check it in your 3D Software.

Cheers,

Jack
Re: Something missing? [message #24272 is a reply to message #24258 ] Sat, 26 February 2011 08:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I think I know what the problem is.
In our Cad system all elements that we need are choosen from a catalog. We design pipelines, and all elements are standard items. But that means that in fact the model is not one closed shape, but a lot of closed shapes together. Now sometimes the circular face of an item is shared with that of the item next to it. And this confuses the system that much that it doesn't see some of the items anymore.
Problem is that I am not designing for 3D printing, but have to convert a system 'as it is' to a model that can be read into the shapeways system.
Second problem is that the model I want to print is already quit complex, so I will always be in doubt if I really have fixed everything.
But if I get it working in a relative simple way, it would be very promising for future models to be 3d printed.
I am working in the Process Industry, and sometimes clients really want to see what we design.
We have 3D viewers, but keeping it into your hands really adds value to it!

Re: Something missing? [message #24293 is a reply to message #24258 ] Sun, 27 February 2011 18:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
as far as i know, the STL file on shapeways that you can download, is not the file that has been fixed Wink
it''s just the plain version you've uploaded!

the reason was (if i'm correct) that people wouldn't start using shapeways just for fixing the file

Previous Topic:Table lamp 'Temptation' I need help with this!
Next Topic:Dwarf Fighter

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.