Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Introductions » Just Introducing Myself
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Just Introducing Myself [message #233] Sun, 15 June 2008 03:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar AD-Edge  is currently offline AD-Edge
Go to my shop
Hey Everyone

Im known as AD-Edge, you can call me by my real name if youd like - Alex

Ive been using Blender 3D for over 4 years now, for modeling, animations and game designs etc etc.
I only found out about shapeways yesterday, and its a pretty impressive site in my opinion. The ability to change a 3D model into a real model is something which interests me, i saw an article on 3D priters a while ago and wanted one straight away Very Happy

So thats my intro

Ive got one puzzling question atm - how does the printer start printing part of an object which has previously had nothing under it? For example if the arms of a character are outstretched, when the printer gets to the cross section of the arms it would have to start printing them in the air, with nothing underneath to stop the 'material ink' from falling. Im sure the answer is simple Confused

I look forward to seeing this site develop!

Re: Just Introducing Myself [message #239 is a reply to message #233 ] Sun, 15 June 2008 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
AD-Edge wrote on Sat, 14 June 2008 23:35

Ive got one puzzling question atm - how does the printer start printing part of an object which has previously had nothing under it? For example if the arms of a character are outstretched, when the printer gets to the cross section of the arms it would have to start printing them in the air, with nothing underneath to stop the 'material ink' from falling. Im sure the answer is simple Confused

I look forward to seeing this site develop!

It depends on the production method, but most often support material is added automatically by the printer. There are a few pictures of that on our blog:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/12-A-Visit-to-Our-Pri nting-Facility.html

After printing the support material is either washed away with water or a solvent, or cleaned out with an air gun. You'll receive it all cleaned up.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Just Introducing Myself [message #241 is a reply to message #239 ] Sun, 15 June 2008 13:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AD-Edge  is currently offline AD-Edge
Go to my shop
Nice, i see what u mean from the pictures. Thanks for clearing that up. Cool

Previous Topic:Hi from Ulm
Next Topic:Just To Introduce Myself...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.