Home » Community » Work in progress » Floppy Disk Pendant
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Floppy Disk Pendant [message #23975] Thu, 17 February 2011 15:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Spongeinside  is currently offline Spongeinside
Go to my shop
Hi all,
This afternoon I've been working a couple of hours on modeling a floppy disk!

As I'm using SketchUp, I imported an image of a floppy disk and traced it so I could get the size about right, after that I had to eyeball it somewhat to get it to work right Smile

After downscaling it to a more suitable pendant size some things deeded fixing/altering to make it pretty again.

It's now at 2mm thickness, I'm not sure if that's too thin, but I don't want to go much thicker as it'll use more material and thus costs more and the weight gets too high to be worn comfortable as a pendant Smile (and it'll start to look bad...)

I would prefer to have it printed in stainless steel, but I think a WSF version would be nice too, so people could paint it to make it look even more like a real floppy disk! =D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7383894/SW/Floppy_pendant_preview_small.jpg

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!
Re: Floppy Disk Pendant [message #23976 is a reply to message #23975 ] Thu, 17 February 2011 16:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Unfortunately for right now all stainless must be 3mm thick

Are those 3-1/2 or 5-1/4? I'm not old enough to remember the 8" ones but I've seen them Razz

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Floppy Disk Pendant [message #23977 is a reply to message #23976 ] Thu, 17 February 2011 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hm.. well, I could add 1mm to it's thickness Smile Maybe that'll solve some uploading issues I've had too..

It's modeled after a 3,5" floppy disk Smile The well known \A: drive Razz

Re: Floppy Disk Pendant [message #23980 is a reply to message #23975 ] Thu, 17 February 2011 17:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The larger ones were also A:\ I believe both the larger disks were used before hard drives were common place lol. The problem uploading is it's only 2mm in the bounding box. Rotate them so the make the bounding box larger.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Floppy Disk Pendant [message #23982 is a reply to message #23980 ] Thu, 17 February 2011 19:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've been messing with it a bit now and managed to upload it Very Happy

Only, I noticed I've put the little loop on it incorrectly Embarassed Fixing it at the moment Smile

*edit*
Fixed! =D and available form my shop

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2011 19:18 UTC]

Re: Floppy Disk Pendant [message #24001 is a reply to message #23982 ] Fri, 18 February 2011 04:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
@Sponge, you keep on coming up with models that are cute incarnations of everyday things. Good stuff! I'm excited to see the results.

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Floppy Disk Pendant [message #24010 is a reply to message #24001 ] Fri, 18 February 2011 08:44 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
ana wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 04:02

@Sponge, you keep on coming up with models that are cute incarnations of everyday things. Good stuff! I'm excited to see the results.

Thanks! I've ordered some prototypes in wsf to see how they work out Smile If it's all good I hope to get them in stainless steel, not all at once, but over time, as they're ~$30 each... it's pretty pricey, but if the details work out as they're supposed to, I think they'll be worth it Smile

Previous Topic:New Bracelets
Next Topic:Table lamp 'Temptation' I need help with this!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.