Home » Support » 3D Applications » VRML, sizing and scaling
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
VRML, sizing and scaling [message #23741] Sat, 12 February 2011 11:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
VRML files are by definition in meters, but many application seem to ignore that and export in mm, inches or other units. Shapeways will always interpret VRML as being in meters and refuse everything else.

You can certainly resize everything in your software, but that may have negative impact on the precision of the exported mesh and lead to other problems.

Here is what we found:

• Create and export a simple 10x10x10 mm (or inch, if you like) cube in your favorite software. Shapeways will moan at you and claim that the model is too big.

• From the reported numbers, you can easily determine the scale factor. Ours is always 0.001, lovers of Imperial or American units have a little more work to do. Record the scale factor in a little text file for later use, in this format:
    Quote:

Transform {
    scale 0.001 0.001 0.001
    children [

• Open the VRML file in your preferred text editor. Wordpad will do, Notepad may be slow. You will find something similar to this:
    Quote:

#VRML V2.0 utf8

# possibly a few more lines, all starting with a #
    # ...

DEF default Transform {
    children [
    Shape {
    .... and so on ....

• Paste the content of your scale file into the VRML, right after the first line. You may also want to delete the extraneous comment lines:
    Quote:

#VRML V2.0 utf8

Transform {
    scale 0.001 0.001 0.001
    children [

DEF default Transform {
    children [
    Shape {
    .... and so on ....

• Scroll to the very bottom of the VRML. At the very end, enter this:
    Quote:

]}

• Done. Save the file, upload and enjoy.

Re: VRML, sizing and scaling [message #23743 is a reply to message #23741 ] Sat, 12 February 2011 12:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Tagged for future reference Smile

Thanks for the tip... I'm just starting to have a play with Wings3D and what it has to offer with UV mapping.
Re: VRML, sizing and scaling [message #23748 is a reply to message #23743 ] Sat, 12 February 2011 14:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sorry for the double post.

I just got my first successful upload of a UV mapped VRML & jpg zipped file... woohooo! (dicecube vrml test)

I utlised trompevenlo's top tip, doing it exactly as instructed and it worked first time Smile

Thanks again http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

Previous Topic:Fixed and hollowed to 1.5mm
Next Topic:Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.