Home » Community » It arrived! » Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23650] Thu, 10 February 2011 09:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar unellenu  is currently offline unellenu
Go to my shop
Fractal wings earrings arrived in stainless steel!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/179838/earrings__wings.html?g id=ug56271

index.php?t=getfile&id=7039&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=7040&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=7041&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=7042&private=0

unellenu.com
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23652 is a reply to message #23650 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 09:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Spongeinside  is currently offline Spongeinside
Go to my shop
Those are really nice wings! Are you going to polish them or leave it the way they are?

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23656 is a reply to message #23652 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 11:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Smile

I may polish them up a bit ,using a polishing lathe, but thought that I'd photograph them as Shapeways ships them.

Smile Janelle.

unellenu.com
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23678 is a reply to message #23656 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 16:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
Very beautiful design! I'd be interested in the pictures post polishing as well. We're experimenting with different polishing techniques that would yield a good shine.

What kind of machine do you use to polish, and how is it at handling more delicate parts?

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23704 is a reply to message #23678 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi,

I was thinking of using a standard jewellery polishing lathe with polishing mops. I haven't tried polishing any stainless models before, so I'll let you know if it works or if any pieces break off.

Janelle

unellenu.com
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23731 is a reply to message #23704 ] Fri, 11 February 2011 21:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Janelle,
"polishing mops" are not a good choice for polishing SS prints that have not first gone through an initial surface treatment, like "barrel tumbling"! This material is extremely hard, like tool steel. It is also extremely abrasive! Until the (as printed) surface or, bark is cut down, it will tear up any cotton wheels, mops or felt bobs that you have. Also know that in this relatively rough state, small parts tend to snag, very aggressively! So be careful if you still want to give it a try. Here are a few suggestions:

Carbide burrs and diamond based abrasives are the quickest and most economical way to cut, smooth, brighten, or polish printed SS parts! Some types of rubberized abrasive wheels and "non-woven" style abrasive pads and belts are also useful but not as effective as carbide & diamond. Carbide burrs can do deep cutting or just brighten surfaces. Diamond products come as wheels, burrs, hand files, lapping pastes and film backed papers. These are available from relatively coarse cutting, down to optical grades. The "import grade" of most diamond products is low in cost and they work very well in most applications. Higher grade materials cost more, but because they work so quickly and effectively they come out costing less than any material I have found.

I say all this after many years of trying just about every method and abrasive product available. Just be safe and have fun.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23734 is a reply to message #23731 ] Sat, 12 February 2011 08:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Spongeinside & nancyliang for inspiring me to give the earrings a quick polish.

Images of the results follow....

& Glen G the extensive tips are appreciated! Smile

I used polishing mops without shredding its cotton - I held the design flat whilst polishing to avoid snagging.
I've left the textured finish on the earrings and just brightened some of the non-recessed details.

I agree with your suggestions of rubberised abrasive wheels, diamond burrs etc too.

My process if I was wanting to spend more time to achieve a high level finish would probably start with wet and dry abrasive/ emery paper, and rubberised wheels to follow , with polishing mops for the finishing touches....If I eventually take the extra time to do this I'll upload pics of the results.

Although my current work is as a sales assistant , I am a trained jeweller & confident with a variety of jewelry tools, & I'm hopefully safety conscious enough too. Although I am grateful 4 the safety reminder.

Have a great one,
Janelle.

index.php?t=getfile&id=7071&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=7072&private=0

unellenu.com
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23736 is a reply to message #23734 ] Sat, 12 February 2011 10:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Spongeinside  is currently offline Spongeinside
Go to my shop
Looks really good! Very Happy The partial polishing makes them look a bit antique Smile

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!
Re: Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless [message #23737 is a reply to message #23736 ] Sat, 12 February 2011 10:51 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks!

You're right about the slightly antique or aged appearance too.

Smile

unellenu.com

Previous Topic:Little Bag of Hoodies
Next Topic:Over The Top 17x17x17 by OSKAR

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.