Home » Community » General Discussion » Stainless wall thickness
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23586 is a reply to message #23584 ] Tue, 08 February 2011 20:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No that I see it again, I remember seeing that sometime before, and it looks very similar to the design geometry specs from ProMetal, however the 'design rules' linked to from the stainless materials page is quite different and probably what most people see and/or look for.

[edit] actually most of that tutorial page is the ProMetal geometry specs copied including images

[Updated on: Tue, 08 February 2011 21:02 UTC]

Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23593 is a reply to message #23584 ] Wed, 09 February 2011 02:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
My Suggestion....

Shapeways has a GREAT Header with drop down menus... But when people are working with their own designs, they are not looking in support, they are looking in "My Designs" So my suggestion, in the drop down for "My Designs" I would suggest you add "Design Rules" so you have everything nice and clear, and all in one place.

Just my suggestion.

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23601 is a reply to message #23593 ] Wed, 09 February 2011 05:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
Ray716 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2011 02:37

Shapeways has a GREAT Header with drop down menus... But when people are working with their own designs, they are not looking in support, they are looking in "My Designs" So my suggestion, in the drop down for "My Designs" I would suggest you add "Design Rules" so you have everything nice and clear, and all in one place.

I like it! We were actually just talking about how it's buried in the webpages today and where to change it. What do you think about changing "support" to something like "how to." Because when I think support, I think this is something I will use AFTER I upload something and it breaks. Whereas, how to, I will go there to get educated.

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23602 is a reply to message #23584 ] Wed, 09 February 2011 05:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
SS material page links to an old blog post, instead it could link to that tutorial, less hops around. Biggest problem is outdated info (tutorial still mentions 1mm ^_^ ), and misleading photos like cute items... which should be marked with a red cross, instead of giving the impression it's possible. There should be more images of what is right (zero currently), even comparisons of wrong/right, and photos of or links to solutions.
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23603 is a reply to message #23602 ] Wed, 09 February 2011 06:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
As I understand it the 1mm is not a problem as long as the other design rules are taken into account.

I would be happy to provide Shapeways with pictures of many thin an small steel models, that so far have been printed.
(Then again I have no idea how many reprints it took...)

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23606 is a reply to message #23601 ] Wed, 09 February 2011 06:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
nancyliang wrote on Wed, 09 February 2011 05:24

Ray716 wrote on Wed, 09 February 2011 02:37

I like it! We were actually just talking about how it's buried in the webpages today and where to change it. What do you think about changing "support" to something like "how to." Because when I think support, I think this is something I will use AFTER I upload something and it breaks. Whereas, how to, I will go there to get educated.

Personally, If I need a memory jogger about a materials properties etc, the obvious place to look is the materials section.

I don't think 'support' is the wrong name for the section, but hiding design rules away under tutorials is maybe not such a good thing.

Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23646 is a reply to message #23606 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 04:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Less buried is good. That and an over all update too all the static pages in regards to the design rules. Maybe even condense everything together. The easier it is to navigate and find things the better in my opinion. Referencing forum posts is find and good, but on static pages, it's much better to re-post or even reword things so things are clear and in one place. ESPECIALLY since people all over the world use this site, Many of whom speak English as a Second or Third language. Ease and Clarity of communication is a must.

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23671 is a reply to message #23603 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 15:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
To everybody on this thread: we are currently in discussion of writing up new design rules with our supplier.

It would be very helpful for me if you send me concrete examples of models that's been rejected (with the accompanying pictures), AND models that's been successful (especially ones that have walls less than 3 mm). (my e-mail: nancy@shapeways.com) You don't need to send me the 3D files, just the name of your design or the design ID number would suffice. I can look up the files in the back end. (note: your designs are kept under confidentiality agreements and will not be disseminated outside the usage of these talks)

This will be helpful in two ways:
- Better help me understand what is happening to our designs
- Better help us and our suppliers discuss and finalize design rules that are practical but still allows you guys freedom to design, which in turn really helps everybody in our community

Thanks a bunch!

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2011 15:33 UTC]

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23677 is a reply to message #23671 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 15:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
mmm... a bit difficult for me... the only image of mine is the one on the first page of this thread - I don't have any stored on my PC, it stops me from dwelling on rejection... perhaps the service team have stored 'sent messages'?

Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23698 is a reply to message #22160 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 21:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ditto for me. I'm not sure I have any relevant "rejected" images either, but I'll take a look.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #23706 is a reply to message #23698 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 23:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar clsn  is currently offline clsn
Go to my shop
I don't order much in steel, but I have two designs that have been done in steel with small walls and spars:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/155119/open_die__d6___design_ your_own_.html

http://www.shapeways.com/model/154706/lojban_d12___12_sided_ die.html

These are ones I know work in steel because I ordered them myself, and indeed the pictures are there. There may have been others that other people ordered in steel but I didn't; I don't know about those.

http://www.dicecollector.com/THE_DICE_THEME_SHAPEWAYS.html#C ERAMICWOMBAT shows what look like quite a few of ceramicwombat's dice with thin spikes, done in steel. So does wombat's shop.
Re: Stainless wall thickness [message #26749 is a reply to message #22160 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 19:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Plasticdreaming  is currently offline Plasticdreaming
Go to all my models
I'm bumping this topic as i've reached the point of begging Very Happy

Shapeways ....PLEASE HAVE MERCY...and provide people who want to order in stainless steel an alternative with a reduced minimum wall thickness.

I have parts that were made of stainless steel sent by Shapeways that were under the minimum wall thickness a few months back. Since then i have not been able to have the parts remade due to the minimum wall thickness rule.

I thought silver would be my saving grace but the rule that states no multiple parts in one stl has proved me incorrect due to cost.

I love Shapeways. I love what you represent. Im begging for an alternative metal.

Give me (us as i'm sure i'm not alone) a different metal *or* increase the cost for stainless steel that falls under the minimum order thickness. I'd happily pay more to get the parts that you've already sent previously made again

I can only hope this plea doesn't fall upon deaf ears (or blind eyes as it were).

[Updated on: Fri, 29 April 2011 19:48 UTC]

Pages (2): [ «    1  2] 

Previous Topic:Tinkercad
Next Topic:About Paypal Account

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.