Home »  » 3D Printing » Question regarding printing small parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Question regarding printing small parts [message #23526] Mon, 07 February 2011 19:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar dsherratt74  is currently offline dsherratt74
Go to my shop
I'm currently working on a new mech model. which I hope all things being equal, to print out in white detail. Like the other mechs I've done it's a multi-part miniature and I'm a little worried about a part of it.

Unlike my others I want to have the feet in two peices, the main foot and the front toe. I'm concerned the toes may be too small individualy for the printers to handle. So I was wondering does the minimum size listed in the materials page apply to each part of the model, I assume it does but I would apprecate some clarification on this.

The picture below shows the two parts so you can see what I mean about the size.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6969&private=0

Cheers for any help in advance.

• Attachment: foot.jpg
    (Size: 32.53KB, Downloaded 237 time(s))

There are two types of people in this world. Those who are normal, and those who are unusual.

Thank god I'm one of the latter. It means I'm interesting!
Re: Question regarding printing small parts [message #23527 is a reply to message #23526 ] Mon, 07 February 2011 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The problem would be finding the part after the print, cleaning it, and packaging it without losing anything. Some people connect it with a sprue (much like a model kit) that you cut off when you get it. So parts don't get lost.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Question regarding printing small parts [message #23591 is a reply to message #23527 ] Wed, 09 February 2011 01:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dsherratt74  is currently offline dsherratt74
Go to my shop
Yeah I thought that might be a way round the problem.

Given the number of small parts I've ended up making for this model it's the only way to go about it I suppose. So now i've finished the model itself I've gone and made a sprue for all of them.

I've just ordered it, can't wait to get it. I just hope it looks half as good as the CG render when it arrives.

There are two types of people in this world. Those who are normal, and those who are unusual.

Thank god I'm one of the latter. It means I'm interesting!

Previous Topic:White Detail: Layer problem?
Next Topic:WSF spacing to avoid fusing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.