Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Silver Casting
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Silver Casting [message #7931] Fri, 27 November 2009 21:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar Zorink  is currently offline Zorink
Go to my shop
IT WORKED!!! Surprised

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zorink/sets/72157622763166701/

I wasn't sure if WSF would burn out well, but it worked great. They still need some work, but here are some pics of casting and how they turned out. I'll post pics when I get around to finishing them (college finals are coming up)

I used some really old silver because I wasn't sure if it would work, so the finish directly from casting is kind of nasty, but you can see how well it worked. Some polishing should fix it up nice.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1862&private=0

Re: Silver Casting [message #8194 is a reply to message #7931 ] Thu, 10 December 2009 11:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar {DF}  is currently offline {DF}
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Very interesting Zorink!

To tell you the truth, I was thinking of doing the same thing, by giving the WSF (White Stong and Flexible... am I right?) material to a foundry.

Do you think it will work?

Again, great work!

http://shpws.me/DWg
Re: Silver Casting [message #8224 is a reply to message #8194 ] Thu, 10 December 2009 21:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It worked very well, I just had to burn out the molds hotter and longer than usual. Investment casting typically uses a special wax that is meant to burn out cleanly, so you really have to crank up the oven on the WSF for a good mold. Just be aware that your casting will have the same texture as the WSF (you can see it in my pic) and will take quite a bit of work if you want your final model to be smooth metal.
Re: Silver Casting [message #8268 is a reply to message #8224 ] Sat, 12 December 2009 16:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi guys,

for now, why don't you use the details materials (black or white)?
They burn easier and are much smoother than WS&F.

regards,
Peter

PS: Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. The fumes aren't exactly healthy!

[Updated on: Sun, 13 December 2009 14:46 UTC]

Re: Silver Casting [message #8292 is a reply to message #8268 ] Sat, 12 December 2009 22:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the tip - Now I have to go buy some more models!
Re: Silver Casting [message #8302 is a reply to message #7931 ] Sun, 13 December 2009 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Thanx fot the tip Pete. It is my next step too... Smile

Re: Silver Casting [message #22978 is a reply to message #7931 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 19:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Bumping this since I'd like to know if anyone had success using either of the Detail materials?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Silver Casting [message #22979 is a reply to message #7931 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
My WS&F is already produced by a foundry to test. Haven't seen it yet, but as the person said, this is a small loss.

Re: Silver Casting [message #22980 is a reply to message #22978 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
lensman wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 19:59

Bumping this since I'd like to know if anyone had success using either of the Detail materials?

Glenn

I knew I saw it somewhere
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4376&a mp;start=0&
burn out results of transparent detail

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Silver Casting [message #23475 is a reply to message #22980 ] Sun, 06 February 2011 12:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fix8ion  is currently offline fix8ion
Go to all my models
Wow. that's fantastic. good to know, good to know.
Re: Silver Casting [message #23479 is a reply to message #8268 ] Sun, 06 February 2011 13:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pcpenha  is currently offline pcpenha
Go to my shop
pete wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 16:25

Hi guys,

for now, why don't you use the details materials (black or white)?
They burn easier and are much smoother than WS&F.

regards,
Peter

PS: Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. The fumes aren't exactly healthy!

Hi, Pete

Do you know if transparent detail works the same as black detail and white detail materials?

Previous Topic:Making a Z-scale V-IRM (SpoorObjecten) ready to run
Next Topic:Soldering stainless steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.