Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » [Download] button disappears
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
[Download] button disappears [message #23477] Sun, 06 February 2011 12:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
As soon as something has been converted into a co-creator item, the model [Download] button disappears and the model file can not longer be retrieved. See
http://www.shapeways.com/model/210512/16f336ec3fa2dac157fe3c 52ceea02ff/c

Re: [Download] button disappears [message #23926 is a reply to message #23477 ] Wed, 16 February 2011 19:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
As I understand it, we did this deliberately. Can you let me know more about the context and what you want to happen, so I can rethink whether we want to continue with this behavior or change it?

Thanks,
Ben
Re: [Download] button disappears [message #23936 is a reply to message #23926 ] Wed, 16 February 2011 22:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi Horst,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a very similar problem with the Solid Marble: the "3D Part download"/"available to all" checkbox disapears when you make your model a co-creator.

I understand that as the model is customizable, you consider that downloading a non-customized model could have little sense.

But the idea in my case is that if I have to change the texture, as it takes me some time, I will ask for a markup, but if the customer want to do it by himself, there is no reason why I would take a markup for just having "designed" a sphere, so I let him download the model for free...

In this case, I would expect the download icon (blue arrow turned downside) to deliver exactly the model I have uploaded - that is with the texture of the preview.

Makes sense?

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: [Download] button disappears [message #23958 is a reply to message #23936 ] Thu, 17 February 2011 09:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Similar thing here.

If customization means replacing the texture file, I may want to download the template file, replace the JPG, upload, done.

But it's a fairly mute point, anyway. We found that even if the button is not there, a properly constructed URL will do the trick.

If you would like to rethink something completely different:

As long as you are logged in, it is virtually impossible to see the model pages as a view-only. You always need to log out or open two different browsers to see what a customer would see.

Would suggest to split this into a view and edit mode (default to view).

Re: [Download] button disappears [message #24025 is a reply to message #23477 ] Fri, 18 February 2011 16:37 UTC Go to previous message
Anonymous Coward
Trompevenlo:

Yes, I like the suggestion for separate "view" and "edit" modes on my models when I log in. I've found it to be a bit of a nuisance to flip back and forth between browsers to see what visitors will see. (My favored approach is to use a Chrome Incognito window, so I only need one browser, anyway.)

Both suggestions are now in my "possible features" list.

-Ben

Previous Topic:Password protect an item?
Next Topic:Updating an item that's been ordered

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.