Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » [Download] button disappears
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
[Download] button disappears [message #23477] Sun, 06 February 2011 12:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
As soon as something has been converted into a co-creator item, the model [Download] button disappears and the model file can not longer be retrieved. See
http://www.shapeways.com/model/210512/16f336ec3fa2dac157fe3c 52ceea02ff/c

Re: [Download] button disappears [message #23926 is a reply to message #23477 ] Wed, 16 February 2011 19:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
As I understand it, we did this deliberately. Can you let me know more about the context and what you want to happen, so I can rethink whether we want to continue with this behavior or change it?

Thanks,
Ben
Re: [Download] button disappears [message #23936 is a reply to message #23926 ] Wed, 16 February 2011 22:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi Horst,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a very similar problem with the Solid Marble: the "3D Part download"/"available to all" checkbox disapears when you make your model a co-creator.

I understand that as the model is customizable, you consider that downloading a non-customized model could have little sense.

But the idea in my case is that if I have to change the texture, as it takes me some time, I will ask for a markup, but if the customer want to do it by himself, there is no reason why I would take a markup for just having "designed" a sphere, so I let him download the model for free...

In this case, I would expect the download icon (blue arrow turned downside) to deliver exactly the model I have uploaded - that is with the texture of the preview.

Makes sense?

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: [Download] button disappears [message #23958 is a reply to message #23936 ] Thu, 17 February 2011 09:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Similar thing here.

If customization means replacing the texture file, I may want to download the template file, replace the JPG, upload, done.

But it's a fairly mute point, anyway. We found that even if the button is not there, a properly constructed URL will do the trick.

If you would like to rethink something completely different:

As long as you are logged in, it is virtually impossible to see the model pages as a view-only. You always need to log out or open two different browsers to see what a customer would see.

Would suggest to split this into a view and edit mode (default to view).

Re: [Download] button disappears [message #24025 is a reply to message #23477 ] Fri, 18 February 2011 16:37 UTC Go to previous message
Anonymous Coward
Trompevenlo:

Yes, I like the suggestion for separate "view" and "edit" modes on my models when I log in. I've found it to be a bit of a nuisance to flip back and forth between browsers to see what visitors will see. (My favored approach is to use a Chrome Incognito window, so I only need one browser, anyway.)

Both suggestions are now in my "possible features" list.

-Ben

Previous Topic:Password protect an item?
Next Topic:Updating an item that's been ordered