Home »  » Bug Reporting » Color?
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Color? [message #2332] Mon, 29 December 2008 22:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar WorkshopAlex  is currently offline WorkshopAlex
Go to all my models
I noticed one thing on this site: all models are nice and white. So I assume the printer isn't a color 3D printer? Very Happy
Well, okay... That would mean that I'd have to paint a model myself. Any advise about the best paints to use for the material of the model?
Re: Color? [message #2333 is a reply to message #2332 ] Mon, 29 December 2008 23:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
I had some really awesome results with RIT fabric dye. It comes in all colours. A word to the wise ... do a few tests on some small cheap pieces.

I used a quarter packet mixed in 2 cups of kettle boiled water. The best results came from a 1/4 packet of dye mixed in 2 cups of hot water (from the kettle), and I dunked the small items in for 5-10 seconds only. Any more than that and the purple I used showed up almost black.

Do your own tests, and I think you will like the dye method. It soaks in, so it wont chip off like paint.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Color? [message #2336 is a reply to message #2333 ] Tue, 30 December 2008 01:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvicarious  is currently offline bvicarious
Go to my shop
For painting, I've found that plastikote spray primer adheres well, as does krylon crystal clear and krylon fusion and regular spraypaints. For transparent detail at least, I had to do many coats of krylon before the surface texture was covered and it became smooth, so I recommend priming first.

Whystler, which materials did you try dying, strong/white/flexible? Any idea how the detail materials handle it?

Re: Color? [message #2340 is a reply to message #2336 ] Tue, 30 December 2008 15:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Hey Bvicarious,

I died cream robust, white detail, transparent detail, and SWF.

The SWF took the dye most deeply, and the cream robust took it most lightly.

I used purple RIT dye.

On the first try, I actually boiled the dye bath on the stove and kept it boiling while dunking the pieces for 2 minutes. The result was:

-cream robust nice purple
-white detail black
-transparent detail black
-SWF black

I tried various other tests, until my final try, which used only hot water from a kettle. I did not keep this dye boiling on the stove. It sat in a plastic cup on the counter and had hot water in it only. In this final test, I dunked the items for 5 seconds only! And this was the result:

-transparent detail nice dark purple
-white detail nice dark purple
-SWF nice purple

I assume the results will vary depending on the colour and size.. for example, I used very small test models, and a baby blue will probably have slightly different results Smile

-Whystler

[Updated on: Tue, 30 December 2008 15:35 UTC]

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/

Previous Topic:One time shipping option
Next Topic:Size selection

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.