Home » Support » 3D Printing » largest size / texture example?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon10.gif  largest size / texture example? [message #22786] Tue, 18 January 2011 21:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar lexasaur  is currently offline lexasaur
Go to all my models
hello! i am currently trying to produce a replica of a famous videogame sword. for strength, i'm planning on doing the hilt and the blade separately, and assembling them permanently post-printing.

my question is, what is the max length of a single piece that shapeways can print, does anyone know? is there a doc out there? the final blade length would be 30", if that helps!

secondly, i was curious about a real-world example of one of the materials, the PA 2200, Selective-Laser-Sintered (SLS) link . is there something that people could harken this material to, say, the same sort of material vinyl toys are made of, or is it harder plastic like a mold-injected cellphone case? shampoo bottle? haha, i'm just trying to get a sense of what its like. i suppose i could get the sample kit, but if anyone here has a comparison that would be helpful!

the idea is to make it out of plastic, so that it could be carried in public (think: halloween in NYC), and possibly geeked out at a con of some sort.

thanks so much for taking the time to help out, it is VERY much appreciated!

A

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2011 21:23 UTC]

Re: largest size / texture example? [message #22899 is a reply to message #22786 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TimberWolf  is currently offline TimberWolf
Go to all my models
I'm not sure, but I think it'll not be very stiff.
If that's your intention, make a hollow hole in the 'blade' and insert a aluminium tube. That'll improve rigidity greatly.
Re: largest size / texture example? [message #22906 is a reply to message #22899 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 19:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
hmm, so is there any sort of material that mimics, say, the same sort of plastic as an action figure? something that has the rigidity without being metal ?
Re: largest size / texture example? [message #23278 is a reply to message #22906 ] Tue, 01 February 2011 04:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
just bumping..anyone out there know the largest printable size?
Re: largest size / texture example? [message #23298 is a reply to message #23278 ] Tue, 01 February 2011 16:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

Material specifications can be found here:
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/

PA2200 / WSF is up to 70 x 38 x 56 cm.

There is a sample kit of materials available (including a coupon for use later)

http://www.shapeways.com/model/133452/shapeways_materials_sa mple_kit.html

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: largest size / texture example? [message #23302 is a reply to message #23298 ] Tue, 01 February 2011 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
thanks! this is helpful, though i hope that planning on printing it as 2 solid pieces (as opposed to being hollow like a lot of examples) wont be a problem.

i didn't see anywhere on there that explained what the max dimensions are, though. does anyone know that spec per machine?

thanks again for your time!
Re: largest size / texture example? [message #23305 is a reply to message #23302 ] Tue, 01 February 2011 17:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The reason that objects are usually hollowed out is because the price is base on the actual volume of material used, so solid is more expensive.

If you click on the more details links on the material page, you should be able to find all the info you need.

There is also may tutorials and and faq that should answer most of your questions.
Links under "Support" both in the navigation and in the footer of each page.

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone
Next Topic:Mold-ready prints

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.