Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Program that creates 3d meshes from 2d stills
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Program that creates 3d meshes from 2d stills [message #23201] Sun, 30 January 2011 14:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar Eeppium  is currently offline Eeppium
Go to my shop
Some of those examples would look very nice in full color sandstone!
What I understood it requires some sort of a turntable to get the required 2D-data.

http://www.3dsom.com/index.html
Re: Program that creates 3d meshes from 2d stills [message #25561 is a reply to message #23201 ] Sat, 02 April 2011 14:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ErkDemon  is currently offline ErkDemon
Go to my shop
Arc3D looks interesting http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~visit3d/webservice/v2/, but I haven't actually used it yet, so I don't know how well their system works. It probably helps if you have a really decent camera.
Meshlab ( http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ ) is a free cross-platform app that lets you tidy up the results.

At some point someone will release a compatible and free (or very cheap) app that does 3D-from-2D really, really well, but unfortunately there's been some major corporate politics screwing up the field for a the last few years. Essentially, Microsoft want control of any good, cheap, 2D-to-3D software so that they can make sure that it can only output content for Bing Maps and not Google Earth, and Google similarly want control of any cheap apps that do multipicture-to-mesh conversion, so that they can ensure that it can only produce content for Google Earth and not Bing maps. That's one reason why the full version of Google's "Sketchup" is kept as a commercial program, and the giveaway version isn't meant to export data to other formats.

Neither corporation really gives a damn about the 3D design market, but they're very keen to get ownership of anything that can do automated architectural modelling, because that has implications for the "mapping" side of their respective searchengine businesses.
What they both want to avoid is the public suddenly getting access to a free app that will let them start collaboratively photographing and modelling towns like crazy, and putting the results online where any third-party startup can use it to produce an open competitor to Google's Streetview (et al), without having to spend money acquiring the data.

So while we tend to see these apps as wonderful enabling technologies that'll let individuals be more creative, and that should help to create whole new markets, vested interests tend to see them as potential threats to existing multi-billion-dollar industries that have nothing to do with design or manufacturing. Any time a cheap 2D-to-3D product reaches a certain level of user friendliness, it's liable to be bought out by a mapping services, directory services or search engine company.

Math vs Politics Sad

ErkDemon (Eric Baird)

Previous Topic:Curious Newbie wants to Know: Printing Plastic Model Kits
Next Topic:Amazing New Material

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.