Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Scaling your model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Scaling your model [message #22987] Mon, 24 January 2011 22:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar jpidgeon  is currently offline jpidgeon
Go to all my models
Hi folks,

I'm trying to upload a model to the Shapeways site, but it doesn't fit into the size parameters. Looks like I need to scale it down to get it to work.

Shapeways recommends a certain piece of software to adjust things, but it's a Windows-only package, and I'm working with a Mac. Can anyone recommend a Mac-friendly method/software package?

Jeff
Re: Scaling your model [message #22995 is a reply to message #22987 ] Tue, 25 January 2011 03:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What software are you using? What file type are you trying to upload? There are several free software out there, but not sure which are Mac compatible. I'm not sure but perhaps Blender has a Mac version?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Scaling your model [message #22998 is a reply to message #22995 ] Tue, 25 January 2011 05:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar esbowman  is currently offline esbowman
Go to all my models
Try wings 3d. It exports to STL format and is a free application. I actually use it all the time for low poly modeling work.

wings3d.com
Re: Scaling your model [message #22999 is a reply to message #22995 ] Tue, 25 January 2011 06:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jpidgeon  is currently offline jpidgeon
Go to all my models
I looked at AccuTrans 3D, but it's Windows-only. I didn't create the digital file myself (it's a scan of a maquette), but it's an .stl file.
Re: Scaling your model [message #23009 is a reply to message #22987 ] Tue, 25 January 2011 16:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
A quick scale you can do, is if it's designed to be inches, upload as cm. Also check out Meshlab. Not sure about it's Mac compatibility either though. If you're in a hurry, you can either upload it here or email it to me (email in signature) and I can scale it for you.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Scaling your model [message #23325 is a reply to message #22987 ] Tue, 01 February 2011 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Klink  is currently offline Klink
Go to my shop
NetFabb can easily scale your item and the program is free and available for Mac os x ... I use it all the time Cool
Re: Scaling your model [message #26384 is a reply to message #23325 ] Fri, 22 April 2011 18:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar IceRaptor  is currently offline IceRaptor
Go to all my models
+1 for Netfabb. It works quite nicely.

Previous Topic:Pendant eyelet size
Next Topic:new and looking for 3d modeling mentor(s)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.