Home »  » Work in progress » HO Model Traction Engine
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
HO Model Traction Engine [message #21977] Thu, 30 December 2010 03:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar reecejames  is currently offline reecejames
Go to my shop
Hello all,

Currently waiting for my first model to be printed. In the meantime, here's the wireframe and textured view. Obviously needing some tweeks but looking for some tips, tricks and feedback on the current model.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6465&private=0

I'm a big train buff and my current collection consists of N, HOe, HO, O Live Steam and 5" Live Steam.

I'm pretty busy at work, but am looking for ideas for specific items to model. (Custom train bodies, point levers, signals etc.I have had a request for a 5" gauge locomotive end as well.)

• Attachment: wireframe.png
    (Size: 187.30KB, Downloaded 521 time(s))

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: HO Model Traction Engine [message #22057 is a reply to message #21977 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 05:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=6509&private=0

Well that's a disappointment, obviously a few cleanups required! Very Happy

The 0.554 is just a blu, so easy enough to fix, along with the 0.64. The 0.50 is more concerning, the entire gear has disappeared. Confused I've rebuilt that part of the model so it should correct that problem.

Anyone got any ideas on what the 0.16? could be? I'm guessing it's referring to the gear's teeth?

This puzzles me as all teeth should count as detail, thus as long as the teeth are under 0.7mm in height, it shouldn't pose a problem.

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: HO Model Traction Engine [message #22089 is a reply to message #22057 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 23:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JamieMcBride  is currently offline JamieMcBride
Go to all my models
That traction engine looks brilliant Reece, you should be working for Airfix / Hornby with those skills!

To my untrained eye, it looks as though the 0.16 refers to the top face of the gear teeth?

I'm just learning about this Shapeways process at the moment, in order to have a go at making "O9" scale ( O gauge scenery on N gauge width track) models of the locos and rolling stock on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. I received the Shapeways sample pack last week - have to say "Clear Detail" looks and feels much smoother than "White Detail" & WSF to me.

Forgive my ignorance but which CAD package is that you're using? I'm trying to get to grips with Blender, but failing at the mo - think I'll splash out on Alibre after the trial runs out.

Jamie

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2011 23:02 UTC]

Re: HO Model Traction Engine [message #22112 is a reply to message #22089 ] Tue, 04 January 2011 11:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Cheers Ravenforth. I'm just starting out with modeling so I don't think I'm anywhere near that level of skill yet. I'm using Lightwave which seems to export reasonably well if the geometry is simple.

This model is designed for WSF but I will be trying some N gauge stuff in the details, clear may be worth it, we shall see. Give me a week or so!

Now, I'm an idiot and I feel sorry for the Shapeways guy who checked the model again. Lookie what I forgot to fix.
Rolling Eyes

index.php?t=getfile&id=6513&private=0

I've added extra material to the chimney as well JIC simply due to the fact that it's the one piece you really don't want looking bent.
EDIT: This cost an extra 1c, something wonky with the chimney geometry obviously Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2011 12:27 UTC]

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: HO Model Traction Engine [message #22984 is a reply to message #22112 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 21:35 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
It arrived! Very Happy

Unfortunately I've got a major issue with a wheel. Trying to diagnose at this end currently.

Reece James
Integration Engineer

Previous Topic:N Scale Steam Tram
Next Topic:Advertise, who me?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.