Home » Community » It arrived! » First order arrived
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First order arrived [message #22850] Thu, 20 January 2011 00:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar Totemiza  is currently offline Totemiza
Go to my shop
So, I got my hands on my first ever Shapeways print. Yay! It's a great feeling to have brought a unique physical object into the world!

I've got the whole zodiac designed, but thought I'd best check one before doing any more modelling.

I'm very happy overall, apart from the fact that it seems to have skewed slightly along its Y axis. This is most apparent on the loop where the cord goes through. Has anyone seen anything like this before? The width of the loop wall is just over 1mm, so I guess that could well be the cause.

I've included a grab of the re-imported stl in Blender which seems to be fine.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6747&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=6748&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=6749&private=0

• Attachment: Aries_600.jpg
    (Size: 44.03KB, Downloaded 433 time(s))

• Attachment: Loop_600.jpg
    (Size: 12.00KB, Downloaded 436 time(s))

• Attachment: Loop_Mesh.jpg
    (Size: 34.96KB, Downloaded 434 time(s))

Re: First order arrived [message #22861 is a reply to message #22850 ] Thu, 20 January 2011 13:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
That's interesting how it skewed to almost match the face opposite of it. Perhaps its an effect of shrinkage? (areas of different thickness shrinking at different rates because of different rates of heat lose) The stainless process is very difficult and involves a few steps. Things like the horn being a long hollow object could lead to the skewing as well. You need some inside support structure to keep the weight supported.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: First order arrived [message #22868 is a reply to message #22861 ] Thu, 20 January 2011 21:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Wow,
That is really weird! I don't think this was caused by shrinkage though. I'll make sure some of the science boys look at this. Could it be some software aberration I wonder?
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: First order arrived [message #22873 is a reply to message #22868 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 00:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Two things. First, the main part has bent up, so maybe the full shape just twisted in general. You can see the top of the loop is same level than the main part, and some light below that main part. Or the loop "fell". Second... <1.5mm? Was this printed before the new rules? Would it be printed again?
Re: First order arrived [message #22919 is a reply to message #22850 ] Sat, 22 January 2011 09:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Totemiza  is currently offline Totemiza
Go to my shop
Thanks for the replies.

It seems that the whole shape is twisted, but it's most obvious on the loop.

I followed the advice on stainless steel here

As the object is pretty small (38.5 x 31 x 4.65mm) I'd assumed a 1mm wall thickness would be be OK. There is no internal support, so that could be a factor.

Previous Topic:SporKnife
Next Topic:Sliding Cube by OSKAR