Home »  » 3D Applications » Blender Simple Deform Help
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon4.gif  Blender Simple Deform Help [message #22034] Sat, 01 January 2011 07:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar cyberpatriot  is currently offline cyberpatriot
Go to my shop
Ok, I need some help. I have a ring I'm trying to make and I even followed a good tip from shapeways here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yasl_r2DNv4 . My problem is I use the simple deform modifier to make the text into a circle. When I export it to .X3D shapeways flattens it. So its no longer a circle but a really small oval. I tried using meshlab to fix it, and it shows it the same way shapeways does. The problem with meshlab is the origin is off so I can't just scale it on the X axis, and when I do get it semi-circular the stupid thing throws off the scale. Can someone please help or guide me?! This is so frustrating!

Here is what the flatness looks like: http://www.shapeways.com/model/195820/moms_ring.html?gid=ug4 8629

I'm using Blender 2.55, BTW.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 January 2011 14:56 UTC]

Re: Blender Simple Deform Help [message #22039 is a reply to message #22034 ] Sun, 02 January 2011 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Eeppium  is currently offline Eeppium
Go to my shop
Hi.

I use blender curves when i need text wrapped around something.

just add a "curve circle" then add a text, (you might need to align it according how you need it to be first) then select the text and then "Shift select" the curve. Press "ctrl+p" and select "curve deform"

You`ll need to rotate the text to make it follow the curve correctly.
up view seems to work for me.

hope this helps.

here´s the blend file i made if you have trouble re-creating my feeble instructions Wink

Re: Blender Simple Deform Help [message #22042 is a reply to message #22039 ] Sun, 02 January 2011 05:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
Did you apply the modifier in Blender before exporting? I use 2.49, and I generally have to apply all my modifiers manually before I export a model.

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Blender Simple Deform Help [message #22107 is a reply to message #22042 ] Tue, 04 January 2011 10:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
charmed_kitty_33 is correct - not all modifiers are applied automatically when you export a model from Blender.

To verify the export, you can re-import your file into Blender and check the geometry.

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Blender Simple Deform Help [message #22135 is a reply to message #22034 ] Wed, 05 January 2011 02:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar cyberpatriot  is currently offline cyberpatriot
Go to my shop
Thanks for all the help! The modifiers have been applied. It just keeps removing some of the letters from the ring. I was able to reimport the ring into blender without any issues but shapeways and meshlab would drop quite a few of the faces.

BUT I have got it now.
I had to create the letters by hand and then run a difference on circle and the hand created text. I don't know if converting the text created to many verticies that X3D and DAE don't like, but creating the letters by hand seems to have fixed it.

Previous Topic:exporting from maya 2010 using collada - no edge smoothing?
Next Topic:Hollowing out with zBrush or Wings ??

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.