Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21916] Mon, 27 December 2010 21:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
Hello everyone, I've got a particular design that is a devil for arriving with all it's nooks and crannys jammed up with the abrasive grit used for polishing the stainless steel. There's a picture attached, this is a ring (for scale).

index.php?t=getfile&id=6437&private=0

I don't really know what the material is, I can't decide if it's a mineral or something like a fibrous nut shell. I want to get rid of it, so I'd love to know if anyone has a method of softening it in water so it can be brushed out, or if it's really just a matter of sitting, breaking pin after pin trying to lever the bits out. It gets jammed in pretty hard. I've tried a dremel with a stainless steel wire brush, but it doesn't get the job done.

Hope someone has tackled this before!

Cheers
SN

Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21944 is a reply to message #21916 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 16:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TimberWolf  is currently offline TimberWolf
Go to all my models
I'm not sure what it is, but if you can use dental floss and get under the (whatever it is), it should get them out.
After all, that's what floss is designed for =)

QX
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21946 is a reply to message #21916 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 18:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Looks like it's the plastic/ceramic media. The other final polishing media is ground corn cob impregnated with red rouge. Soaking in water will not help. The best way to get it out is by what you are already doing. You might want to try a sturdier tool like a scribing needle or a dental probe. Or a good size sewing needle will work too. I know this is a real pain in the arse but it's the only reasonable way to get the gunk out. The finishing techs try their best to clean all parts but some things do get past them.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21948 is a reply to message #21946 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 18:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I haven't ever been able to decide what the grit is made of, so (this might sound peculiar), but I managed to catch a bit and tried biting it, and it seems soft, fibrous rather than hard like sand, so I'm inclined to think it's the husk rather than the ceramic. I'll try soaking it. If nothing else it might lubricate it's exit while I brush it. If it is the husk (cellulose?), I wonder if I could dissolve it in something (er.. cellulose solvent?).

It also doesn't taste very special. I must have another gin and tonic to cover it up.

I'll report back! Thanks guys, hope you're having a good holiday.

SN
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21954 is a reply to message #21948 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 22:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
If it's soft then it is the corn cob i mentioned. if you soak it, it will swell up and be harder to remove. Seriously, picking it out is about the best you can do

Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21966 is a reply to message #21954 ] Wed, 29 December 2010 16:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes I thought of that just after I plonked them in some water. As it happened, it hasn't done any harm, except made the bits of grit darker so they are harder to see to dig out.

I ended up using a thin scalpel blade, and putting on some loud music so I couldn't hear that scratching of steel against steel, akk!

Would also like to say that shapeways customer service have also been in touch about this issue too, so maybe it isn't as normal as I'd thought.

Thanks folks, help appreciated,
SN
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21967 is a reply to message #21916 ] Wed, 29 December 2010 16:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I noticed it in some of my pieces and just let it go, figured it was because of my tight gaps.

I hope you don't often test things that come out of your shapeways items by biting them... lol. With all the chemicals and processes that are involved I definitely wouldn't suggest it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21970 is a reply to message #21967 ] Wed, 29 December 2010 18:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Aye, I don't make a habit of it, except for the aspic jelly support material that comes with the 3D printed pork, that is DELICIOUS.

SN
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #21973 is a reply to message #21966 ] Wed, 29 December 2010 19:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Xmas rush in the finishing room might have let a few dirty parts go out the door. Find a jewelers or machinist supply and get yourself a scribe with a slender hardened point. Dental picks are handy too. It is also possible to burn the media off but you risk scorching the part and making a bigger mess.

-G

Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #22677 is a reply to message #21916 ] Sun, 16 January 2011 00:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nervoussystem  is currently offline nervoussystem
Go to my shop
we've got a couple hundred rings filled with the stuff and have been using T-pins to remove from tiny holes. works pretty well. It's a bit of a pain but I appreciate that the pieces seem better polished as of late so it's a trade off we can agree to

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #23320 is a reply to message #21916 ] Tue, 01 February 2011 19:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar noesis  is currently offline noesis
Go to my shop
Recently received some stainless pieces with this "grit" in them too, an exacto knife did the trick, bit of a pain to get it all though. Glad you started this topic so I knew what the heck it was!
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #23337 is a reply to message #23320 ] Wed, 02 February 2011 04:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Wow, so does this happen to (almost) everybody?

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #23343 is a reply to message #23337 ] Wed, 02 February 2011 07:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've only had it in parts that have particular sized crevices and holes (just the right size to trap the grit), and even then, it's mostly only ever been two or three bits of abrasive. The batch that is in the pic at the top was unusually gritty. On balance, I'd prefer to have to pick the grit out than to not be able to make the design, so it's still a win.

sn
Re: Grit / abrasive trapped in stainless steel pieces [message #29257 is a reply to message #21916 ] Sat, 18 June 2011 02:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SIXTHSCALE  is currently offline SIXTHSCALE
Go to my shop
i found i was able to burn the grit out ... but i was planning on darkening the part anyway.... I just used the gas burner on my stove.

Previous Topic:How to polish FD?
Next Topic:Post treatment of stainless steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.