Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Shapeways glitch, or just my files?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways glitch, or just my files? [message #21892] Sun, 26 December 2010 16:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar TreadshotA1  is currently offline TreadshotA1
Go to my shop
Hmm, just wondering if any other modellers here have had this problem.

I use Sketchup to make all my 3D models, as it is a free platform and i find it easy to use for most cases. Now, to save costs, i like to combine my models into one file, to save on teh startup fee per model Shapeways charges. However, it seems whenver i import anything into my Sketchup file, and then export it as a Collada file, it fails.

For example, i have a model uploaded here by the name off "Basic Gun with Bayonet" (or something like that). It has two cylindrical barrels touching each other, so is non-manifold, but uploads just fine as a collada file. I then take another sketchup window, and import 2 of these guns. The file again is exported as a collada file, but fails to upload, saying "the model could not be validated". The error explanation given is that the "dialect of STL is not recognised" It tells me 9 times out of 10, Meshlab fixes the issue. I have meshlab, tried it, it doesn't work. Plus, why does it say my STL dialect is not working, when i'm using a COLLADA file? I've had this issue with some other models too, the only thing they have in common is that all involved importing existing models.

I have tried everything, exploding all components, and nothing works. The only way i can upload is to either draw everything again from scratch (which takes too long for most models), or change it to an STL file, which Sketchup can't export as. So, i have to have someone here do it for me, which is very iconvenient and sometimes ruins the scale.

So, has anyone else had this problem? Is it a glitch with the upload, or just me?

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2010 16:26 UTC]

Re: Shapeways glitch, or just my files? [message #21893 is a reply to message #21892 ] Sun, 26 December 2010 17:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sketchup is great... but without the free plugins & rubi scripts you wont be able to make much..

So, here is a good resource for free plugins and Ruby scripts for Sketchup :
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=16 909

As for your issue .. its simple - install the free STL import/export plugin and you wont need to deal with collada anymore.

Cheers

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Previous Topic:shipping notifications
Next Topic:Cancel Moderator notice

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.