Home » Community » It arrived! » Combinatorial Xmas
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Combinatorial Xmas [message #21806] Wed, 22 December 2010 17:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Hi all -- Just wanted to share a Christmas gift that Shapeways did a great job with. I make limoncello on occasion, a lovely liqueur made from the oil-rich outermost layer of lemon peel, alcohol, sugar and water. My girlfriend found some beautiful Italian swing-top bottles, and we thought giving our relatives limoncello in a reusable bottle would make a delicious and green gift. All we needed was a personalized logo. Rather than just make a round tag, I thought it would be fun to exploit the metal 3D printer's capabilities. So, using Shapeways, I made five fleur-de-lis realized as leaves bundled with a strap emblazoned with the initials of each recipient couple. Printed in stainless steel with the antique bronze finish, tied with a blue ribbon. Here are the results!
index.php?t=getfile&id=6400&private=0
There are five of these, each with different initials. Designed in a few hours on one day using Blender. Can you imagine what doing this would have required before Shapeways? Happy holidays, Shapies!

[Updated on: Fri, 24 December 2010 19:47 UTC]

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #21833 is a reply to message #21806 ] Thu, 23 December 2010 15:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
emm, looks good. I'd order a bottle too, let me know when you're distributing Wink

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #21846 is a reply to message #21806 ] Thu, 23 December 2010 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
A unique and interesting gift, very handsomely presented!

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #21863 is a reply to message #21846 ] Fri, 24 December 2010 16:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, guys. While I don't think I'd like to grapple with the legal mechanics of actually selling the stuff, if either of you're ever in Boston, I'd happily share a tipple in exchange for stories about how you've built your businesses. Smile

------------------
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #21867 is a reply to message #21806 ] Fri, 24 December 2010 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Thats a pretty cool idea!

Ive always wanted to try limoncello....

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #21920 is a reply to message #21806 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 00:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Never even heard of limoncello! Looks great. And wonderful use of 3D printing..

Um, just as an aside... would you happen to have that recipe for limoncello! Twisted Evil

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #22014 is a reply to message #21920 ] Fri, 31 December 2010 05:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
By request -- sorry for OT! Via my cousin, via an old Italian grandmother:

* 6 large lemons
* 1 liter 95% (190 proof) alcohol
* 600 grams sugar (1/2 cup – 1 tablespoon ~ 100 grams, so ~2.75 cups sugar)

1. Shave the outermost peel of the lemons. Try not to get any white pith, which will make the limoncello bitter.
2. Put peels into glass jar with liter of alcohol. Let stand for 10 days.
3. After 10 days boil 1 liter of water or buy distilled water. Add sugar and make sure all of it is dissolved. Let cool.
4. When sugar/water mixture is cool, mix with alcohol. Strain/filter lemon peel pieces, store liquid in glass bottle.
5. Let stand for 20 days.
6. Freeze, serve with frozen glass. Or gift in bottles with personalized 3D-printed bronze/steel ornaments.

This is the traditional recipe; however I often modify it by adding about 50% more water. The alcohol I use is regular 190 proof Everclear.

Cheers -- Allan

------------------
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #22065 is a reply to message #21806 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
So that would make it around 85 proof or 47.5%. Sound pretty good Razz.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Combinatorial Xmas [message #22330 is a reply to message #21806 ] Sat, 08 January 2011 18:40 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sorry, only just saw the recipe reply... thanks. Sounds delish!

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Grandpa arrived!
Next Topic:Gear Skewb by OSKAR

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.