Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Pretty Ring!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Pretty Ring! [message #21657] Wed, 15 December 2010 01:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar hitocharmander  is currently offline hitocharmander
Go to all my models
My signet ring arrived yesterday! The metal print was actually a lot more detailed than the WSF I ordered first (the top and bottom fused for that print!) The only foreseeable issue would be the tiny amount of rust that's accumulated in the hard to access nooks and crannies from the past day or so.

Has anyone tried using a rock tumbler on SS? I want to shine it up a bit more, but nothing excessive.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 September 2012 15:59 UTC]

Re: Pretty Ring! [message #21683 is a reply to message #21657 ] Wed, 15 December 2010 23:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That looks pretty neat!

I've not got a rock tumbler, so can't comment on it's useability for polishing stainless... I use a generic Dremel type tool with a variety of wire wheels and sanding drums along with some Brasso and felt buffing wheels to polish/buff up my stainless models. If you need any pointers, feel free to ask.
Re: Pretty Ring! [message #21685 is a reply to message #21683 ] Thu, 16 December 2010 02:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
stop4stuff wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 23:51

That looks pretty neat!

I've not got a rock tumbler, so can't comment on it's useability for polishing stainless... I use a generic Dremel type tool with a variety of wire wheels and sanding drums along with some Brasso and felt buffing wheels to polish/buff up my stainless models. If you need any pointers, feel free to ask.

Your designs always look really cool! How long does it usually take to get a nice shine on SS? I want to make about 10 of these for my group of friends, and tumbling seems like it would take an extremely long time in my dinky machine if it works at all (an expensive experiment!).

I wouldn't need anything to get between the details, since I'll be filling them in with coloring, just shining for the face of the ring and its body. Do you have any suggestions for a basic setup that would do that? My budget is kind of tight...

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Re: Pretty Ring! [message #21686 is a reply to message #21685 ] Thu, 16 December 2010 10:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Cheers.
For a real polished, smooth finish I've got the time down to about an hour or so using a Dremel type rotary tool with an 80 grit sanding drum, followed by 400, 800 & 1200 wet & dry sandpaper on a drum (auto spares type stores carry these), then I buff the item up using some Brasso (liquid metal polish) and a felt wheel. If you're on a tight budget, have the time and don't mind ruining your nails, you can do all of the above by hand.

For a buffed up finish, I use a wire wheel in the dremel or a wire brush followed by Brasso. Again, without power tools this can be done by hand, but takes longer.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2010 10:32 UTC]

Re: Pretty Ring! [message #21729 is a reply to message #21657 ] Fri, 17 December 2010 19:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
hitocharmander wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 01:49

My signet ring arrived yesterday! The metal print was actually a lot more detailed than the WSF I ordered first (the top and bottom fused for that print!) The only foreseeable issue would be the tiny amount of rust that's accumulated in the hard to access nooks and crannies from the past day or so.

Has anyone tried using a rock tumbler on SS? I want to shine it up a bit more, but nothing excessive.

SS doesn't rust, Shapeways SS is infused with bronze so the pinkish color you see is likely copper.

Many jewelers use tumblers for polishing, they use steel shot with soapy water, it burnishes the surface. If you want to actually refine the surface, you can use any one of a number of abrasives. Either a powder grit with plastic pellets or cer5amic pellets with embedded grits.
Re: Pretty Ring! [message #21730 is a reply to message #21729 ] Fri, 17 December 2010 20:10 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
photosfromrob wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 19:48

SS doesn't rust, Shapeways SS is infused with bronze so the pinkish color you see is likely copper.

It's defiantly rust, since it's a steel/bronze amalgamation. Steel and Bronze aren't rust proof without some sort of coating or treatment. The oxidation showed up in the signet after multiple hand washes over a 2-3 days.

Previous Topic:Halloween Headpieces
Next Topic:lens lock ring

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.