Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » exporting from maya 2010 using collada - no edge smoothing?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
exporting from maya 2010 using collada - no edge smoothing? [message #21616] Mon, 13 December 2010 23:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar winxamitosis  is currently offline winxamitosis
Go to all my models
hello there.
i'm using maya 2010 and exporting using the collada (DAE) exporter.

i'm just not sure if the image i'm seeing in my gallery is what will actually be printed and there a slight issue with the export.

or it's just how the image is rendered.

imagine a cylinder made of 20 sides. the edges are all visibly sharp. i want them to be smooth.

so anyone know what might get printed?
sharp or smooth.

the model in question is only 5mm across, so i didn't think i needed to go mad with faces and tessellation. but i could be wrong?

i've (hopefully) attached a pic, so you can see what i mean.index.php?t=getfile&id=6322&private=0

ta for any help
M

• Attachment: spindle.jpg
    (Size: 50.83KB, Downloaded 176 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2010 00:00 UTC]

Re: exporting from maya 2010 using collada - no edge smoothing? [message #21621 is a reply to message #21616 ] Tue, 14 December 2010 00:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
Edges will be printed sharp, to the level of detail possible on the printer. Viewing a model with smoothed edges only affects how it is rendered on the screen, and doesn't change the underlying model. With a model this size, they probably won't be very evident, although that depends in part on the material.
Re: exporting from maya 2010 using collada - no edge smoothing? [message #21635 is a reply to message #21616 ] Tue, 14 December 2010 09:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
At 5mm diameter, you'll have 20 sides of about 0.78 mm, which, depending upon the material, will show stepping and the corners of the sides will be as in the image.

Generally I aim for 0.1-0.2mm faces whilst trying to keep well within the 500,000 polygon limit (imo, the smoother the 'sharpe edge' detail on screen, the better the end printed result), an example is my Check Rope Ring - 17.5mm ID x 21mm OD x 7mm with over 296,000 polygons - which arrived yesterday in stainless, I'll post images over in the 'It Arrived' section when I've finished polishing it.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2010 09:43 UTC]

Re: exporting from maya 2010 using collada - no edge smoothing? [message #21641 is a reply to message #21635 ] Tue, 14 December 2010 14:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar winxamitosis  is currently offline winxamitosis
Go to all my models
thanks for your info and advice chaps. very useful

i'm used to low poly modelling, so perhaps in this instance, i can apply some judicious smoothing and get a better result and still be well under poly budget.

perhapsd viewing in faceted mode in maya will help me see the final result a little clearer.

back in a bit..... Wink
W

Previous Topic:Model Size WAAAY off from Sketchup
Next Topic:Blender Simple Deform Help

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.