Home » Community » It arrived! » IPhone card case arrived!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
IPhone card case arrived! [message #21626] Tue, 14 December 2010 04:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar noesis  is currently offline noesis
Go to my shop
I can finally post images and put this up for sale! I went through 3 test models to get it just right and the lastest, that just showed up today, works beautifully and fits perfectly! I hope you like it, it took a lot of work and I learned a TON about designing gadgets that have to meet EXACT size criteria, but it was worth it, so far I LOVE using it!

The general idea is that it is a credit card or ID carrying case with a very tiny slot on the side that allows you to slip in a card and use it as an integrated stand!

You can get your own here:

index.php?t=getfile&id=6325&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=6326&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=6327&private=0

• Attachment: Cardcase5.JPG
    (Size: 46.54KB, Downloaded 1027 time(s))

• Attachment: Cardcase3.JPG
    (Size: 41.89KB, Downloaded 1021 time(s))

• Attachment: Cardcase1.jpg
    (Size: 42.69KB, Downloaded 1014 time(s))

Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21630 is a reply to message #21626 ] Tue, 14 December 2010 07:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop
Very good job! The final product looks great.

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
http://www.zazzle.com/innovodesign*
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21633 is a reply to message #21630 ] Tue, 14 December 2010 08:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gijs  is currently offline Gijs
Go to my shop
Looks good!

Just visited your shop-page and see you are offering it in alumide as well. Did you test this design in alumide? My experience with that material is that it is very brittle. Depends also on wall thickness of course.

You might want to offer a version without the card holder on the back to make it slimmer, and for those who do carry a wallet anyhow.

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21637 is a reply to message #21626 ] Tue, 14 December 2010 10:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models
I like that rush of enthusiasm !
I know that feeling Smile

Well done.

Gijs,
Shapeways sent me an Alumide version of my Audio stand for iPod touch and its amazing , it strong and doesn't flex, bend or break as did the Black Detail version - so i think an Alumide will also be good for this design.

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21656 is a reply to message #21626 ] Wed, 15 December 2010 00:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Gijs thanks, excellent suggestions! You kind of worried me though so I made it unavailable in alumide for now and ordered one just to be certain, I kind of wanted an alumide one for myself anyhow though!
@dizingof I'm sure you're familiar with that! It's great to have something that works out well! I love seeing an idea come to life!

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2010 00:57 UTC]

Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21664 is a reply to message #21656 ] Wed, 15 December 2010 04:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bryson79  is currently offline bryson79
Go to my shop
Wow looks great. I like it in black swf. the white swf gets dirty fast if you don't seal it. Does the black show dirt? Also what is the wall thickness?
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21666 is a reply to message #21626 ] Wed, 15 December 2010 05:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Wow, this is really cool! I really like the sharp edges and that it doesnt look like it increases the footprint of the phone. Thats the number 1 reason that ive never had a case on my phone or iPod Touch: they always make it too big!

How well do the cards stay inside? Will they fall out on accident?

It looks like you could injection mold that guy too!!! you should take it to production!

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2010 05:24 UTC]

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21667 is a reply to message #21666 ] Wed, 15 December 2010 05:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Rawkstar320 Thanks! I really did try to make it as minimal as possible, and nope the cards stay put no matter how many you have in there (I should post some images of just the case) It has a small pressure clip (not visible) that presses them against the outer shell, took some work to get it right, 2-3 prototypes before I was completely happy with the way it worked. I've always hated the bulk of cases, and other card carrying cases get real thick, I can't say for sure but I almost think this case design might only be possible with 3D printing.
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21849 is a reply to message #21667 ] Fri, 24 December 2010 01:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
its possible that with a few changes you could get it mass produced. (if you wanted...)

Is the pressure clip much like this?

I gave it 5 stars, idk who gave you a rating that dropped it to 3 stars, but they dont know good design when they see it!

Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21897 is a reply to message #21849 ] Mon, 27 December 2010 02:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah! Almost exactly like that! (Great minds thinking alike)
Here's an image showing the clip:

index.php?t=getfile&id=6434&private=0

That business card case is awesome, rated it 5 stars, excellent design!

• Attachment: Cardcase6.jpg
    (Size: 58.89KB, Downloaded 799 time(s))

Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21904 is a reply to message #21897 ] Mon, 27 December 2010 13:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I see you printed it in alumide, how is it performing?

looks also like you've changed the design a little, I liked the rounded corners for the card holder better to be honest

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21913 is a reply to message #21904 ] Mon, 27 December 2010 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Gijs, yeah, it worked great in Alumide! It's WSF that I'm not really liking, without sealing it, it just gets grubby too eassily it seems :/ As for the design, I'm not sure what you mean, it did change slightly but the only thing I tweaked was the shape of the little card window to be more circular rather than oval, just felt it needed more material. Are you talking about how the card holder attaches to the main body? Maybe it's just the angle or lighting?
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21914 is a reply to message #21913 ] Mon, 27 December 2010 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, I mean that corner as pointed in the image below, it's not because of the lighting. I think the previous corner fitted better to the overall design. I hadn't noticed the circular cutout, good change Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=6436&private=0

• Attachment: cardcase.jpg
    (Size: 109.26KB, Downloaded 728 time(s))

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21917 is a reply to message #21626 ] Mon, 27 December 2010 23:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the rating!

I agree, that corner looked better rounded. Smile

Did you make the case personalizable yet?

Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21919 is a reply to message #21626 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 00:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Great design... My son wants me to design a case for his phone (not an iPhone) and I was wondering if you or others could share some tips re the designing for EXACT fit spec's. Once you have the design made is each printing consistent? (That hasn't been the case according to some posts I've read.)

I don't think you answered the question above re wall thickness, if you don't mind.

And is alumide your final preference for the design or are you happy with BSF?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21924 is a reply to message #21626 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 03:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Gijs, @rawkstar320, wow! Guess I forgot I tweaked that! Sounds like I should update it again! Still planning to do a customizable one, but first I need to finish this one for the 3G! So much modeling to do and so little time!

@lensman, missed the wall thickness question, I went with 1.5mm for the back and on the sides I was able to get away with 1mm but the lip that holds the phone in place goes back to 1.5 so it keeps the sides rigid. I would definitely check out the phone manufacturer's website for some CAD specs, they typically make them available for case designers, wish I had thought of that before I made the first 2 lol. The fit seems consistent but I had some issues recently with BSF, I think it may have been oversized to account for shrinkage? I don't know, but it did eventually sort of tighten up to the right size believe it or not. Good luck with your design!
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #21939 is a reply to message #21626 ] Tue, 28 December 2010 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Thank you. That tip about going for the CAD spec's should be very helpful.

Yes, the consistency issue concerns me still, but I think I'll give it a try... Just have to decide if I'm going to attempt in SketchUp or Rhino.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #23625 is a reply to message #21939 ] Wed, 09 February 2011 17:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Oh great, spam!

I'll take care of that.

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: IPhone card case arrived! [message #41272 is a reply to message #23625 ] Thu, 05 January 2012 17:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Mstyle183  is currently offline Mstyle183
Go to my shop
is not spam i could use this information!! arg

Previous Topic:Gamer's Nightmare
Next Topic:Benelux train