Home » Community » General Discussion » Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=(
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #16688] Thu, 26 August 2010 00:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar shaputer  is currently offline shaputer
Go to my shop
Crying or Very Sad

I don't know how it withstands a dishwasher, The gold starts to rub off within a week. Oh well, will have to have the jeweler make me a 14K gold version Laughing
Re: Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #16689 is a reply to message #16688 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 02:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey there,

That is odd, can you send me an image to duann(@)shapeways.com

Some people have used them as guitar picks with no reports (yet) of wear?

thanks

Duann

Duann Scott

Re: Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #16723 is a reply to message #16688 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 16:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
The gold could wear off like any other electroplating, but it usually takes something more abrasive. If you need to clean a piece I suggest a toothbrush and hand soap.

About the discoloration, it seems to be affected by the wearers skin chemistry/moisture level, and of course some people have a reaction to various metals. My ring used to leave a bronze mark if I slept with it on, but that has stopped. It might be developing a thin coating of oxidation that prevents that. I read some people are using clear nail polish on the inside surfaces to prevent prolonged skin contact.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #16725 is a reply to message #16688 ] Thu, 26 August 2010 16:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I know my sweat is very acidic, I haven't had prolonged exposure to gold plated, but wouldn't surprise me if I wore it thin quick.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #16857 is a reply to message #16688 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 23:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar shaputer  is currently offline shaputer
Go to my shop
There is a picture of the bracelet in my shop.

It doesn't show any surface detail and it was taken the first day I got it. I can see faint stainless steel color bleeding through on the outer surface. Maybe because it has rubbed across the desk when I'm working. I do computer work all day.

The part of the bracelet that touched my skin is also fading to stainless steel color and I'm still nursin the rash.

I know I am unable to wear costume jewelery that's why all mine is solid 14k. However, my watch is stainless steel. Tissot Watch. A good one from American Jewelery store. It doesn't break me out. Even if I buy a cheap watch as long as the back of the watch is stainless steel then, I'm ok. But, leather watch bands break me out because of the buckle. So I have to buy a stainless steel band before I leave the store.

I agree about the fingernail polish on the inside surface. That doesn't work for me either. My skin eats right through it. Sometimes I think I'm from another planet !!! OOOOOO Twisted Evil

Well, at least I tried. Still love Shapeways.

P.S. I'll try to get pictures that show what I mean posted Cool

Peace

Re: Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #18254 is a reply to message #16688 ] Thu, 23 September 2010 18:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, different folks, different reactions. My gold ring is fine, but my son's gave him black discoloration on his finger in two days....

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #18652 is a reply to message #18254 ] Sun, 03 October 2010 03:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar designerica  is currently offline designerica
Go to my shop
you could just have your jeweler add a thicker plate layer of 14k. that's cheaper than solid gold.

and you should take it off when you're sitting at your computer, or get one of those wrist pads-- they're good for preventing carpal tunnel, too.

www.designerica.com
Re: Bracelet Gave Me A Rash :=( [message #21576 is a reply to message #16688 ] Mon, 13 December 2010 00:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar WelshDesigns  is currently offline WelshDesigns
Go to my shop
Something to consider is that the SS is infused with Bronze. If I was to guess, from the sounds of it, you are sensitive to bronze. So it might be that, which is giving your he rash. Not the SS or the gold plate. Check out the material section for SS and you'll see the "bronze infused " section I'm talking about.

my 2 cents....

Previous Topic:Model thickness
Next Topic:One way to hollow out a 3D model...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.