Home » Community » It arrived! » Broccolamp
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Broccolamp [message #21437] Wed, 08 December 2010 19:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Shuggster  is currently offline Shuggster
Go to my shop
Hey guys, I've finally got around to printing my Broccolamp shade. I'm really happy with the way it came out, the light diffuses through very nicely. The design is based on the fractal pattern found in romanesco broccoli and it can fit a standard 30mm fitting. Cheers.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/152327/broccolamp.html?gid=ug 48067

http://www.3daspect.com/broccolight1.JPG
http://www.3daspect.com/broccolight2.JPG
http://www.3daspect.com/broccolight3.JPG
http://www.3daspect.com/broccolight4.JPG
Re: Broccolamp [message #21440 is a reply to message #21437 ] Wed, 08 December 2010 20:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Great design and fantastic result (won't help me to eat broccolis though Razz ) !
Re: Broccolamp [message #21441 is a reply to message #21437 ] Wed, 08 December 2010 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm liking it. Looks like it could also make an interesting Christmas tree

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Broccolamp [message #21443 is a reply to message #21437 ] Wed, 08 December 2010 20:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Beautiful design !!

Did you consider protecting the WSF with an epoxy spray?
I'd hate to see it get dirt and dust over time.

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Broccolamp [message #21444 is a reply to message #21437 ] Wed, 08 December 2010 20:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
shuggster, so happy you got this printed. Beautiful!

in the spirit of the holidays it has a fractal geometrical Christmas tree appeal.

whats the average wall thickness?

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Broccolamp [message #21453 is a reply to message #21437 ] Wed, 08 December 2010 23:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
Neat!

I've tried immersing WSF pieces in Future floor polish to protect them from dust, and it seems to work pretty well. One piece that I've handled a lot is looking a bit less white than originally, but a lot whiter than I would expect otherwise. Possibly I should have tried another coat. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd guess that it can be cleaned fairly readily with window cleaner or a mixture of detergent and ammonia in water, followed by reapplication of the polish.

This wouldn't be so easy with something the size of a lamp shade, but I think the polish can be sprayed on.
Re: Broccolamp [message #21477 is a reply to message #21453 ] Thu, 09 December 2010 17:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the positive comments guys, not sure I approve of your broccoli dodging though Magic, its lovely stuff, well alright maybe not Very Happy

Jeff the wall thickness varies quite a bit between the minimum .75mm up to over 2mm in some places, I'd say on average its around a mm thick for most of the surface.

I'll probably do what Dizi/GHP suggest and give it a coat of something, I've got some Clear lacquer spray left from another project, that came out quite nicely, although it did change the colour to a slight off white shade.

I'm a bit concerned about how the lacquer will stand up to the heat of the light, also the last thing I sprayed had nice smooth surfaces, here there are lots of overhangs and sharp points so I'm thinking if I spray it there might be lots of blobs/uneven coverage, will have to take it slow, lots of thin coats.
Re: Broccolamp [message #21478 is a reply to message #21437 ] Thu, 09 December 2010 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
exactly. 2-3 coats from far away so not to create areas with saturated lacquer. i used 15-20 minutes intervals for best result.

wsf will absorb the first and 2nd coats so you'll think you did something wrong - don't worry and don't do the mistake of spraying close with long bursts - use short bursts 20-30cm away and let dry

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Broccolamp [message #21530 is a reply to message #21437 ] Sat, 11 December 2010 09:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar unellenu  is currently offline unellenu
Go to my shop
What a gorgeous Broccolamp!
Very impressive.

unellenu.com
Re: Broccolamp [message #21539 is a reply to message #21530 ] Sat, 11 December 2010 12:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gijs  is currently offline Gijs
Go to my shop
The light falloff brings out the detail wonderfully. This must have been an exciting order!

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: Broccolamp [message #21728 is a reply to message #21437 ] Fri, 17 December 2010 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've never subjected my models to any form of heat. For those that have done so any comments?

(Really nice designs, by the way).

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Broccolamp [message #21743 is a reply to message #21437 ] Sat, 18 December 2010 19:30 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Cheers guys, in terms of the heat it isn't so bad, using a 40 watt bulb the material gets fairly warm to the touch but not hot, I don't have a thermometer available to be precise but I feel confident its well within the safe zone for WSF, the softening point for that is around 160C .

Previous Topic:Holey (Larger)
Next Topic:IPhone 4G Case (with Logo)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.