Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Lets save some money
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Lets save some money [message #21287] Sun, 05 December 2010 00:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
So you charge shop owners 3.5% of there markup to cover your paypal costs. That is fair. But you still have to pay the 3.5% paypal charges on your half of the cost. This is unavoidable from our customers but it is totally avoidable from your shop owners if you change the way you deal with paying out your shop owners.

Instead of paying us 30 days after the 15th of the month that we accrue at least $30. Give us 2 virtual bank accounts on your page. 1 account contains all the money that has cleared the holding time you need for returns, and any cupon codes you give us. The second contains the money that has not cleared yet. We can't touch the second it is just there for us to know what is going to be available to us in the future.

Now when I go to buy stuff of shapeways I can use my first account to pay you. This saves us both 3.5% I save because I don't have to pay the 3.5% that paypal will charge me when you give me my monthly payment, you save because you don't have to pay the 3.5% paypal will charge you when I pay you. Since I am likely buying stuff from my own shop to test we both save the exact same amount(I estimate $1.40/month for me and $1.40 * number of shops/month for you.

At any point we can request to have account 1 payed out to us or select an option to have it payed out every 15th of the month that it is over $30. In this way I save $1/month that I chose not to get payed by you but those that don't want things to change still get payed out exactly as they were before.

Now I mentioned cupons should go in our account 1. This would be a huge benefit to shop owners since on occasion you screw up a test print multiple times and we end up with multiple cupon codes which we need to keep track of and can only use one at a time. Since you will be saving a tone of money with this change you should help us out and make things easier for us by just dumping the cupon code money in account 1. or you could make an account 3 put cupons in there. they never dump into account 1 but get used up first when we buy stuff from your site.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Lets save some money [message #21290 is a reply to message #21287 ] Sun, 05 December 2010 01:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
It sounds a little bit complicated, but in principle I agree with this.

Seems more sensible to me to have one virtual account which stores our markup etc, which we can cash out to our PayPal account if we so choose, as long as it's over $30.
I guess 'coupons' from rejected prints could also go into this account.

Andy
Re: Lets save some money [message #21291 is a reply to message #21290 ] Sun, 05 December 2010 02:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
The way I proposed has no down sides compared to the way it is now. Both systems are relatively complex when you sit down and try to figure out when you will get payed.

1 virtual account would be simpler but would not give shapeways the ability to hold money back until it clears like they do now. The virtual accounts do not need to be seen by the shop owner they are just a way the software can keep track of things to make it work the same as now.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Lets save some money [message #21294 is a reply to message #21287 ] Sun, 05 December 2010 12:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx2  is currently offline fx2
Go to my shop
My idea about this topic (I guess some partsof it look a little like the idea of mctrivia):

index.php?t=getfile&id=6143&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 05 December 2010 12:12 UTC]

Re: Lets save some money [message #21298 is a reply to message #21287 ] Sun, 05 December 2010 17:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
This idea would also be helpful for shopowners like me who are under 18 and have to rely on someone else's paypal for transactions. I just sold some models the other day, and while my balance hasn't hit $30 yet, I don't relish the thought of having to ask my dad for my own money. A system like this would be a little better for me.

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Lets save some money [message #21299 is a reply to message #21298 ] Sun, 05 December 2010 19:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback. The virtual bank account is already on our (rather long) todo list. (and yet another todo is making that public). Actually adding coupons/vouchers to the account is a nice idea. This is not really a simple item as it needs to comply with some legislation.

Actually with the virtual bank account I would see no reason why we would keep money to clear, besides the fact that customers can cancel their orders. We will get on this early next year.

best regards,
Peter

Previous Topic:Receiving excessive e-mail notifications
Next Topic:Problem with the Java applet in Linux

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.