Home »  » Work in progress » what material would you recommend me ?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
what material would you recommend me ? [message #20741] Fri, 19 November 2010 16:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar weirdrubikscube  is currently offline weirdrubikscube
Go to all my models
Hi there,

I would like to produce a piece that I could use to make a plaster mold from (which I would use to produce porcelain pieces).

I never tried Shapeways before, but my guess would be to use the White Detail material.

would it be smooth enough or should I use another material ? (i need smoothness and details)

also I was wondering if it was an easy material to work, like if I want to accentuate some details in post prod.

what do you guys think ?
Re: what material would you recommend me ? [message #20742 is a reply to message #20741 ] Fri, 19 November 2010 16:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
the White Strong material looks nice nice too and is way cheaper.. could that be an option if I sand the piece afterwards ?
Re: what material would you recommend me ? [message #20762 is a reply to message #20742 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 02:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
i have no experience with mold making but white strong and flexible is pretty smooth and can be made with great detail. I would think that would be your best bet. It can flex but generally does not flex very much.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: what material would you recommend me ? [message #20765 is a reply to message #20741 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 03:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
The white, strong and flexible material is quite porous, and I don't believe it can be sanded to a smooth finish. However, you may be able to add a smooth finish to it with another product. I've tried soaking some WSF pieces (briefly) in Future floor polish. They still feel slightly rough to the touch, but more applications could possibly fix that.

Ordering your piece in white detail instead is probably simpler.
Re: what material would you recommend me ? [message #20766 is a reply to message #20765 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 03:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
which one is the easiest to cut/carve ? I might need to do a lot of post prod work

thanks for you answers !

Previous Topic:New Marble Pendants
Next Topic:Swirl pendant

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.