Home » Community » It arrived! » VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon14.gif  VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20013] Wed, 03 November 2010 09:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar garenc  is currently offline garenc
Go to my shop
Bonjour,

I would like first to thank Shapeways for offering a 3d printed glass adventure. It was quite amazing and usefull for 3d print'man.
Thanks also to Glen Gardner who keep me in touch with the model in genesis.

For greetings, I will report in this post conception and production of this model.

index.php?t=getfile&id=5727&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=5728&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=5730&private=0

Philippe Garenc
http://www.garenc.com/wordpress/copyright/494

To be continued

philippe garenc
Re: VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20077 is a reply to message #20013 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 08:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
http://www.shapeways.com/model/147499/vetrovius.html?gid=sg1 4219

philippe garenc
Re: VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20081 is a reply to message #20013 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 12:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
There appear to be a number of cracks in the model?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20091 is a reply to message #20081 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 16:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Philippe's model was an experiment and we all knew it might not turn out perfectly. This was an extremely difficult model to create in glass. We all learned a lot about how/if it could be made at ALL. Another attempt (not pictured) solved the "cracks", which are not really cracks in the traditional sense. What happened on the model you see here is that some print layers in the column sections separated during sintering. When this occurs in glass the loose ends tend to retract when the glass reaches a semi molten state. The cause of problems encountered on this piece were due mostly to the difficulty in completely filling the internal voids with support powder. On one attempt the roof collapsed. On another, the floor bowed inward. We have one more green "Vetruvius" print to experiment with and we are just working up the courage to fire it Rolling Eyes

We have had very few problems with small solid parts . Failures are mostly due to bad design practices like overly thin sections, radical sectional changes, and lack of fillets. These problems tend to become magnified as model size increases. When designing hollow parts accommodations must be made to allow the support powder to completely fill all empty spaces. The support powder acts as a mold during firing. The glass becomes like soft toffee during firing and without support it will move in unexpected (usually disastrous) ways.
These are things we know for fact.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20639 is a reply to message #20091 ] Wed, 17 November 2010 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi G
index.php?t=getfile&id=5948&private=0

Cracked but charmfull. Fails make sense.

I still think in 3d printed glass.
Does Ex-One have some 'show' pieces to share here ?

Thanks.

In Glen we trust Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2010 09:56 UTC]

philippe garenc
Re: VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20757 is a reply to message #20639 ] Fri, 19 November 2010 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
These objects were produced independently from Shapeways as part of ongoing R&D carried on by the ProMetal company. ProMetal is the designer developer of all the machinery and processes now employed by Shapeways for producing 3dp in metal and glass.

So what we have here: the "Vase" is about 7" in height. It took over 12 attempts to get one good one! The other pics are Bathsheba Grossman designs. She allowed us to use her files for test purposes in our attempts to "push the envelope" All of these pieces are extremely fragile but they are glass! Given enough time and money we have successfully produced glass pieces up to about 9" x 4" .
The colored versions were hand painted with leaded glass enamels of the sort that traditional stained glass artists use. This is a secondary process, sort of like glazing pottery.

-Gindex.php?t=getfile&id=5983&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=5985&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=5986&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=5987&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 16:36 UTC]

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20764 is a reply to message #20757 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 02:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Very nice design... And what would the cost for that beauty be? Expensive, no doubt.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: VITRUVIUS | Vitruve | Vetrovius as Glen G said [message #20775 is a reply to message #20764 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 12:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I think cost is difficult to embody.
That's sure that glassworks are always 'too' expensive because of failing attempts, firing and anhealing.
Paradox here is that we use machine to construct volume but hands are leading (and by the way pricing also). Several manipulations are needed to have those kinds of models.

Very happy to find here questions and answers. My french collegues are not uses to practice forum in english.

philippe garenc

Previous Topic:Mixup2x3x3 by OSKAR
Next Topic:Hexbox