Home » Support » Buying » UPS is inefficient and expensive
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #19999] Wed, 03 November 2010 05:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar Arnaud Couturier  is currently offline Arnaud Couturier
Go to my shop
Hi all,

My background story
---------
almost three months after I ordered on Shapeways, I decided I should call the local UPS guys, here in New Caledonia.

They told me the package had been waiting for a month because they didn't have my address nor the invoice.....
First disappointment. Evil or Very Mad

And then, today, they called me, to say I can come and get the package at their office.
Joy Razz ... until the guy told me on the phone I had to pay a tax which is 90% of the price of my order!!!!! WTF? Shocked

My order is $62 in value on the invoice, but one of the models had been cancelled by Shapeways. So the UPS guys won't trust me, the invoice says $62 while it is in fact only $56.

-------

So, my questions:
- why do I have to pay $50 of taxes for a package which is $56 in value?
- why does the package not display an invoice clearly on it?
- can't Shapeways offer the regular postal services shipping option? They usually costs me nothing or very little in taxes, and are much faster.
- when Shapeways cancels a model once it's been ordered, can't the invoice be updated, so that the delivery guys don't surcharge us with taxes?
Re: UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #20009 is a reply to message #19999 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 08:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx2  is currently offline fx2
Go to my shop
To your question Nr. 3: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3758&a mp;a mp;a mp;start=0&

[Updated on: Wed, 03 November 2010 08:17 UTC]

Re: UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #20012 is a reply to message #20009 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 08:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@fx2
So we're in the same boat ...
No more orders from me until I can bypass those greedy UPS guys.

I'm glad ebay and amazon don't use that .... "shipping" company.
Re: UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #20018 is a reply to message #20012 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 12:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
piiichan wrote on Wed, 03 November 2010 08:59

@fx2
So we're in the same boat ...
No more orders from me until I can bypass those greedy UPS guys.

I'm glad ebay and amazon don't use that .... "shipping" company.

Check out my "story" with UPS... and the conclusions i made..

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3224&a mp;start=0&

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #20021 is a reply to message #20018 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 12:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Interesting.
I'll ask them the details about how the hell they get those kinds of amounts for their charges.
Re: UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #20066 is a reply to message #20021 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I went to the local UPS office, to take my package.

First, the invoice indeed is displayed on the package, but the price isn't visible, only my address.
They couldn't find my telephone number, even though they've got my full address ... great.

Second, I asked them what is the minimum package value before I get charged. Answer:
$30

And third, after all that frustration, something positive at last,
the models look absolutely gorgeous Surprised
my first time with bronze and steel.
Re: UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #20562 is a reply to message #20066 ] Tue, 16 November 2010 09:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
We hear you guys. There's so going around import taxes for UPS seems to charge an inordinate fee for handling the taxes. The same thing has happened to me personally when I received stuff from the US here in the Netherlands.

Things should improve once we get more production facilities worldwide, and in the mean time we *are* aware of the issue and we're investigating alternatives. If you have any suggestions, please let us know!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: UPS is inefficient and expensive [message #20567 is a reply to message #20562 ] Tue, 16 November 2010 10:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fx2  is currently offline fx2
Go to my shop
My suggestion is always the same: link to my thread Postal shipping option, please ! . I think it would easily solve the UPS extremely high fees problem for a lot of countries around the world.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2010 10:23 UTC]

Previous Topic:(local) UPS outrageous disproportional fees !
Next Topic:Worrying about deadlines

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.