Home » Community » It arrived! » Smiling sun & Friendship knot
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19717] Wed, 27 October 2010 16:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar drdearth  is currently offline drdearth
Go to my shop
They arrived this morning:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5619&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=5620&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5622&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=5621&private=0

I'm very happy Smile
But I do need to polish them to remove those "steps" from the surface. What can you recommend me to use, I prefer not to use power tools. Can I use a file/sandpaper for smoothing the surfaces? Should I also consider some sort of polishing paste? I just haven't done anything like that before.

• Attachment: DSCI0018.JPG
    (Size: 120.01KB, Downloaded 337 time(s))

• Attachment: DSCI0025.JPG
    (Size: 93.56KB, Downloaded 330 time(s))

• Attachment: DSCI0027.JPG
    (Size: 77.69KB, Downloaded 330 time(s))

• Attachment: DSCI0029.JPG
    (Size: 75.08KB, Downloaded 331 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2010 16:01 UTC]

Re: Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19740 is a reply to message #19717 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 20:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Lucapresidente  is currently offline Lucapresidente
Go to my shop
Surprised The smiling sun is awesome, I would not completely remove the print artifacts from it, they seems part of the rays
Re: Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19765 is a reply to message #19740 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 15:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Lucapresidente wrote on Wed, 27 October 2010 20:30

Surprised The smiling sun is awesome, I would not completely remove the print artifacts from it, they seems part of the rays

Glad you like it Smile
I'm not sure about the print artifacts. I don't really like how they look on it Confused
Re: Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19767 is a reply to message #19717 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 15:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
Looks cool! Do you mind me asking why you don't want to use power tools? I use a dremel for grinding and polishing my pieces, and can't imagine how long it would take to do it without power tools. Shocked Plus you're likely to get carpal tunnel if you try to do it by hand. The steel is really hard and tough.

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19768 is a reply to message #19717 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 16:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm getting a new washer this week so maybe I'll use my old one for an idea I have. I wanted to fill it with sand and salt water, to put glass in to make beach glass. Perhaps it would work well to polish stainless items?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19778 is a reply to message #19767 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
roofoo wrote on Thu, 28 October 2010 15:56

Looks cool! Do you mind me asking why you don't want to use power tools?

Well, mostly because I don't have a dremel and I don't think I can spend the money on buying one anytime soon Neutral

Youknowwho4eva, that's an interesting idea. I also have an old washing machine at home, not sure it works though Very Happy
Re: Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19780 is a reply to message #19717 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 19:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I got the cheap WalMart special dremel. Might not be strong enough for the stainless, but worked well for replacing the glass in a broken window. I'll have to test it on a piece to tell you if the $25 version will work for you.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Smiling sun & Friendship knot [message #19857 is a reply to message #19717 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 15:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Dremels have really come down in price and I recommend one. I wouldn't even dream of trying that by hand!

And, yes, I think it needs polishing. See that artefact near the eye? That bugs me and is a reason why I don't get anything printed in gold anymore - they really make jewellery look cheap. At least with s/steel you can polish it. It actually looks good when some areas are polished more than others, creating some contrast.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Coasters of iPhone Apps
Next Topic:Stainless Steel dog tags, a ring and a JET!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.