Home » Community » Work in progress » Any Blenderheads out there?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Any Blenderheads out there? [message #19533] Fri, 22 October 2010 16:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar TerraCotta  is currently offline TerraCotta
Go to my shop
So although I've done most of my work to date with other tools I've decided to bite the bullet and dig into Blender for full-colour printing. I'm starting with some models that are already textured and rigged and I think I've picked up most of the basics of the interface. Some questions for all you blender pros:

Blurred textures: I'm working with fairly low-res textures and find my textures are heavily blurred both while editting and after upload (based on the preview). However, rendering a frame with F12 in Blender shows a perfectly clear texture. Is there something I can change and/or someway I can know if my textures will be blurred when printed? (the texture file itself most certainly is not blurred)

Overlapping geometry: With Shapeways' new meshmedic I've gotten in the habit of just modelling separate pieces and letting Shapeways boolean the final product once I upload, but with full colour uploads so far the textures have been torn if I do this. Do I need to be producing non-overlapping results to upload for colour?

Modifying geometry of textured models: Because the models I'm starting with were created for animation, they will need to be hollowed and potentially booleaned due to the above issue. Is it realistic to expect to do this with an already-textured model, or should I drop the texturing, redo the geometry, and then re-texture?

Rigging: The models I'm working with are fully rigged for animation--not something my blender skills have yet given me any familiarity with. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial to learn Blender's rigging system? I'm not going to be adding any rigging myself--just working with the existing rig or maybe simply removing it.

Any help someone more experienced than myself could offer would be a huge help Smile . Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Jeff Coleman
Re: Any Blenderheads out there? [message #19656 is a reply to message #19533 ] Tue, 26 October 2010 13:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
TerraCotta wrote on Fri, 22 October 2010 16:17

Blurred textures: I'm working with fairly low-res textures and find my textures are heavily blurred both while editting and after upload (based on the preview). However, rendering a frame with F12 in Blender shows a perfectly clear texture. Is there something I can change and/or someway I can know if my textures will be blurred when printed? (the texture file itself most certainly is not blurred)

While editing a UV-textured object, Blender downsamples the textures so it can display them in real-time OpenGL. In addition, it uses a process called 'mipmapping' which is a filtering of high-frequency images to prevent them from becoming too noisy when shown in strong perspective. I believe that Blender will export the textures unmodified.

As our on-line renderer uses Blender as well, I'd be very surprised if you got a different result in our preview. If you mail me a sample file that worries you I'll look in to it. You can send it to bart@shapeways.com.

Quote:

Overlapping geometry: With Shapeways' new meshmedic I've gotten in the habit of just modelling separate pieces and letting Shapeways boolean the final product once I upload, but with full colour uploads so far the textures have been torn if I do this. Do I need to be producing non-overlapping results to upload for colour?

That shouldn't happen, but maybe MeshMedic still has a few bugs. Again, please mail me the file and we'll use it as a testcase for future development and bugfixing! Until that moment your best bet would be to make sure the textured faces don't overlap, yes.

Quote:

Modifying geometry of textured models: Because the models I'm starting with were created for animation, they will need to be hollowed and potentially booleaned due to the above issue. Is it realistic to expect to do this with an already-textured model, or should I drop the texturing, redo the geometry, and then re-texture?

Ideally, MeshMedic should be able to handle that for you. I'd start with some simple experiments before putting in too much work either way.

Quote:

Rigging: The models I'm working with are fully rigged for animation--not something my blender skills have yet given me any familiarity with. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial to learn Blender's rigging system? I'm not going to be adding any rigging myself--just working with the existing rig or maybe simply removing it.

Sure thing! I *love* promoting my hobby site Wink

http://www.blendernation.com/links/browse/rigging+tutorials- type/

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Any Blenderheads out there? [message #19671 is a reply to message #19533 ] Tue, 26 October 2010 17:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar TerraCotta  is currently offline TerraCotta
Go to my shop
Thanks Bart--awesomely complete response!

Previous Topic:Trinity Puzzle ring
Next Topic:European Ball Joint Doll

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.