Home » Support » 3D Printing » silver prints
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
silver prints [message #19325] Mon, 18 October 2010 20:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar fridgehead  is currently offline fridgehead
Go to all my models
I created these some time ago in stainless steel

Flesh Tunnels

and got warned that the steel probably wasnt safe for jewelry use like that.

Is the silver safe for that?
Re: silver prints [message #19327 is a reply to message #19325 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
I would imagine so.... A lot of body jewelery is made from Sterling Silver anyways isnt it?

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: silver prints [message #19328 is a reply to message #19325 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 20:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Shapeways has made all jewelery items automatically show metal first, is that a sideways way of saying it's safe for skin contact? Is that the same as being in your ear? My guess is the answer will be the prints are for decorative purposes only, if you stick it in your ear and your ear falls off you can't say they said you could.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: silver prints [message #19337 is a reply to message #19325 ] Mon, 18 October 2010 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Even with SIlver it will still depend on how each individuals skin reacts to a foreign material. Silver is much less allergenic and less reactive to skin oils than SS or bronze but it in NOT inert. So some people are likely not to be able to tolerate silver posts in their ears. High karat gold is still the safest bet for metal inserts into the body but even this can't be tolerated by some people.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: silver prints [message #19434 is a reply to message #19325 ] Wed, 20 October 2010 11:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fridgehead  is currently offline fridgehead
Go to all my models
I guess the "allergic to silver" thing still stands and as far as I know I'm not. I was told pretty much outright that the stainless steel ones were a bad idea by someone on this forum.

Sod it, I'll get the design resized for my ears and send it off for a print to see what happens!

Previous Topic: I do not see the box ' Has color '
Next Topic:3d print bended

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.