Home »  » Post Production Techniques » WSF - heat resistant finish/sealing against dust
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF - heat resistant finish/sealing against dust [message #19210] Sat, 16 October 2010 08:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar bettinanissen  is currently offline bettinanissen
Go to my shop
I have just received a new prototype in WSF for a lampshade that i am quite excited about. It is a fairly big object and i assume the WSF will discolour quite easily when it starts collecting dust.

Does anyone have experience with sealing WSF against dust without it necessarily turning into a glossy object? i like the matt finish the WSF has and would like to keep it in a similar way.

Also, this finish would need to be fairly heat resistant and not discolour or crack when the lampshade is heating up from the lightbulb.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Re: WSF - heat resistant finish/sealing against dust [message #19246 is a reply to message #19210 ] Sun, 17 October 2010 03:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar clsn  is currently offline clsn
Go to my shop
I have used *matte* spray-on clear acrylic lacquer and and "Future" (or "Klear"... it's that clear acrylic floor-wax thing). Both are practically undetectable to me (the spray-paint one is a little more noticeable). The look of the WSF is pretty much unchanged.

On the other hand, I don't actually know if either of these treatments actually accomplishes much; I haven't had things in enough use for enough time to tell how dirty they'll get and how much treating them helps.

Previous Topic:Aluminium Casting Services?
Next Topic:prepping for making a mold of a printed item

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.