Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Aluminium Casting Services?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Aluminium Casting Services? [message #18531] Wed, 29 September 2010 02:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar TimberWolf  is currently offline TimberWolf
Go to all my models
Hello...
I was wondering if there are any places that do one-off casts of aluminium (or any light metal)?

What I want to do is to get my part printed in Detail, and get it sent off to be cast in Aluminium. Are there any companies that do such a thing?

I'm in the USA now.

Regards
QX
Re: Aluminium Casting Services? [message #18628 is a reply to message #18531 ] Sat, 02 October 2010 03:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Anyone?
Re: Aluminium Casting Services? [message #18632 is a reply to message #18628 ] Sat, 02 October 2010 09:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Google worked... try 'usa aluminum casting services' (note the US spelling of aluminium)

But if you're willing to give it a try, you can cast it yourself with an alloy call 'True Metal' (a tin/bismuth mix that melts at around 135 celcius), below is an example of a little robot figure I made a few years ago, the mould for the metal was several layers of liquid latex painted onto a hand carved wax model.

http://www.stop4stuff.com/fallout-3/images/protectron.jpg
Re: Aluminium Casting Services? [message #18644 is a reply to message #18632 ] Sat, 02 October 2010 20:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
http://www.precisionmetalsmiths.com/capabili.htm
Ahh this seems just like what i need. Not sure about the costs though.

Cheers =)
QX
Re: Aluminium Casting Services? [message #18679 is a reply to message #18644 ] Mon, 04 October 2010 11:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ibec  is currently offline ibec
Go to my shop
I was at a plastics fair last week, just around the corner of the current SW HQ. One vendor showed a Metalised 3D printed piece of UK based 3DDC. Feels and looks amazing! Just send them your .stl and they give you a quote. You can also send them your 3D print for just the metalise process.

Or ask Amsterdam based FoC what they did with the L'Oreal packaging.

cheers, Ivo

index.php?t=getfile&id=5316&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2010 11:44 UTC]

Previous Topic:Mirror coating ideas?
Next Topic:WSF - heat resistant finish/sealing against dust

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.