Home » Support » 3D Applications » Blender - smooth or solid
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender - smooth or solid [message #18634] Sat, 02 October 2010 11:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar synthercat  is currently offline synthercat
Go to all my models
Hi there! That's my first post here and I am all excited to find out about shapeways.

Question : You know that in blender we can have an object that could me smooth or solid (or parts of it smooth and other parts solid)

What's the deal with that? Is it just me or does STL export -> shapeways server conversion reads is a solid... could I fix that with many many faces? for example make a ball with so many faces that even in solid it would still look smooth?
Re: Blender - smooth or solid [message #18637 is a reply to message #18634 ] Sat, 02 October 2010 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't use Blender, but I aim for about 10 vertices per mm (i.e.100 per mm^2 surface area) and find that models are as smooth as the printing processes will allow... Here's an example

I think the way the printing processes work is pretty much point to point within the resolution of the printer... the smoothing you see on screen in a render is the software doing some jiggery-pokery to make it look better, whereas a 3d printer prints 'as-is'
Re: Blender - smooth or solid [message #18646 is a reply to message #18634 ] Sun, 03 October 2010 00:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Always work in solid mode, it shows the real polygons and what the printers will print. Smooth mode is a visual trick, and even so, you can notice problems in the silhouettes of objects.

So yes, if it doesn't look smooth, add more polygons until the approximation looks smooth enough. Subsurf modifier is a way to get the polygons without having to control all them, just make sure the exporter applies it or apply by hand before exporting.

Previous Topic:AutoCAD2009 issue
Next Topic:Manifold problems in VRML

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.