Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Best Material for Painting
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Best Material for Painting [message #18126] Tue, 21 September 2010 16:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar RockoRobotics  is currently offline RockoRobotics
Go to all my models
Hello,

I'm using shapeways to produce a series of 'Greens' that will later be used to produce a line of pewter figures for a tabletop game I'm making.

The first batch of prototype figures I ordered was made from the White, Strong, and Flexible material. While I was able paint up these figures using a line of tabletop war game paints(see attached picture), the flat armor surfaces were somewhat bumpy. This made painting the figures a little more annoying then a typical game figure.(Its tolerable though)

I was considering ordering some made in the White Detail material since this material is rated as smoother then then the White, Strong, and Flexible, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who have used this material before I pay twice the price of the WSF material.

Also, is there something special I can do to reduce the bumpiness on my flat armor surfaces?

Edit: I just wanted to clarify one thing: Bumpy is not the best word. The surface is just rough enough to make it difficult to apply paint.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2010 16:24 UTC]

Re: Best Material for Painting [message #18127 is a reply to message #18126 ] Tue, 21 September 2010 17:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I actually find WSF really good for painting; I tend to apply a thinned coat of paint first to 'stain' the piece (letting the paint soak into the plastic), then applying a slightly thicker coat or two on top. The thicker coats (plus a topcoat of varnish) enrich the colour, and also help to smooth out the bumps.

But yeah, for a static piece like you're printing, Detail ought to work just fine. Probably a good idea to wash the piece first with a little warm water and detergent to get rid of any support material, then let it air dry.
But that's good advice when you're painting almost any model.
For the record, I haven't actually had any Detail models printed myself yet; this advice is based on what others have said about the material, and my own painting experience.
Your ships look really cool, by the way. Wink

Andy

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2010 17:18 UTC]

Re: Best Material for Painting [message #18157 is a reply to message #18127 ] Wed, 22 September 2010 16:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RockoRobotics  is currently offline RockoRobotics
Go to all my models
Thanks for the information. Since I was going to order two sets of my figures anyway, I'll order one in WSF and the other in White Detail and find out which one is better.

Re: Best Material for Painting [message #18582 is a reply to message #18126 ] Thu, 30 September 2010 11:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar oseven  is currently offline oseven
Go to all my models
Please keep us posted Smile
I was wondering the same thing, for the thing I have in mind I need the detail material but not sure if I can paint it.

Richard
Re: Best Material for Painting [message #18585 is a reply to message #18582 ] Thu, 30 September 2010 16:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fx2  is currently offline fx2
Go to my shop
Tamiya acrylic paint worked well for me on detail material...

Previous Topic:Klear
Next Topic:Mirror coating ideas?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.