Home » Community » General Discussion » Ordering multiple parts of identical part
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ordering multiple parts of identical part [message #18561] Wed, 29 September 2010 20:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar cubenovice  is currently offline cubenovice
Go to all my models

Today I created a 3D puzzle with several identical parts.

In ordering the pieces I found out that the "start up cost" of 1.5 USD is added for each and every piece.

For this specific design with all parts well under 1 cubic cm it means that this "accumulated start up cost" is the biggest cost driver for my design.

Wouldn't it be more fair (for the buyer ;-)0 if the start up cost would only be counted once per specific part?

I understand Shapeways is here to make money but still...

Well, I ordered the pieces anyway because I am in a hurry.

But next time I will make sure to connect all the little pieces via a thin strip that I can just cut off.
Re: Ordering multiple parts of identical part [message #18562 is a reply to message #18561 ] Wed, 29 September 2010 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
They do not need to be connected unless they are small.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Ordering multiple parts of identical part [message #18563 is a reply to message #18561 ] Wed, 29 September 2010 20:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi!

As I understand it, part of the startup cost has to do with the manual cleaning of the pieces. Especially relevant with lot's of small items.

You can combine multiple items in one file to get around this.
(not necessarily connected)

If parts get to small or many, they sometimes build a "box" around it, so parts don't get lost.

Cheers

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Ordering multiple parts of identical part [message #18596 is a reply to message #18563 ] Fri, 01 October 2010 09:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cubenovice  is currently offline cubenovice
Go to all my models

Yeah, I understand how the start up cost works.

Why I was considering to connect the pieces is to make sure I only have to pay start up cost once.
Instead of 8 times when oredering 8 identical (small) pieces.

For my next order I will first try to put all components in one file as suggested.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ralph
Re: Ordering multiple parts of identical part [message #33593 is a reply to message #18561 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 07:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DanielOng  is currently offline DanielOng
Go to all my models
Wanted to ask the very same question and then I found this post.

So did anyone find out if its cheaper to connect multiple identical parts together to be printed?

Alternatively if you printed (to use cubenovice's example) 8 pieces in one file,without connecting them, would you still pay one startup cost or 8 startup cost?
Re: Ordering multiple parts of identical part [message #33606 is a reply to message #18561 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 12:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
1 start up per file, not per item in the file. So to save 7 x 1.50 (you still have to pay it once) put all items in the same file.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Community request top x
Next Topic:3D Max, ProBoolean and NetFabb

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.