Home » Support » 3D Applications » AutoCAD2009 issue
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18417] Mon, 27 September 2010 12:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar grizgrin  is currently offline grizgrin
Go to all my models
Howdy. I'm trying to export a ring I designed for my girlfriend to STL. It has 2 parts, the ring body and then a small hoop that passes through a turnbuckle. The parts are independent, and the whole point was to have it produced with them joined. However, STL export in ACAD 2009 is telling me I can only export 1 item, not multiple items. Do I need to draw a sprue onto them conjoining them? Would it be best if I just used a line to do so, or make it smaller than the tolerances of the material I intend to print in since I am going to be removing it anyway? Thanks.
Re: AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18444 is a reply to message #18417 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 16:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
If you use a line to join them, Shapeways will likely reject it as a wall thickness issue or a manifold error.

Most 3d applications allow you to join multiple meshes into a single object. Unfortunately, I don't use autoCAD, but I'm sure some other friendly person around here does, and will be able to help. Smile

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18445 is a reply to message #18417 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 16:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I haven't used AutoCAD in a few years now, but I'm pretty sure it has a Boolean Union command. Our some sort of Join command. Try using that to convince AutoCAD that it's one item. If not, save as a dwg, open in Blender, and export as STL.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18452 is a reply to message #18445 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 18:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
yep, just use union!

www.Custom3dStuff.com

Previous Topic:Merging STLs?
Next Topic:Blender - smooth or solid

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.