Home » Support » 3D Applications » AutoCAD2009 issue
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18417] Mon, 27 September 2010 12:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar grizgrin  is currently offline grizgrin
Go to all my models
Howdy. I'm trying to export a ring I designed for my girlfriend to STL. It has 2 parts, the ring body and then a small hoop that passes through a turnbuckle. The parts are independent, and the whole point was to have it produced with them joined. However, STL export in ACAD 2009 is telling me I can only export 1 item, not multiple items. Do I need to draw a sprue onto them conjoining them? Would it be best if I just used a line to do so, or make it smaller than the tolerances of the material I intend to print in since I am going to be removing it anyway? Thanks.
Re: AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18444 is a reply to message #18417 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 16:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
If you use a line to join them, Shapeways will likely reject it as a wall thickness issue or a manifold error.

Most 3d applications allow you to join multiple meshes into a single object. Unfortunately, I don't use autoCAD, but I'm sure some other friendly person around here does, and will be able to help. Smile

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18445 is a reply to message #18417 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 16:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I haven't used AutoCAD in a few years now, but I'm pretty sure it has a Boolean Union command. Our some sort of Join command. Try using that to convince AutoCAD that it's one item. If not, save as a dwg, open in Blender, and export as STL.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: AutoCAD2009 issue [message #18452 is a reply to message #18445 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 18:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
yep, just use union!

www.Custom3dStuff.com

Previous Topic:Merging STLs?
Next Topic:Blender - smooth or solid