Home » Community » General Discussion » Could you guys 3D print a traditional 2D animation punch?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Could you guys 3D print a traditional 2D animation punch? [message #18368] Sun, 26 September 2010 12:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar Curly01  is currently offline Curly01
Go to all my models
Hi,

I'm learning traditional hand drawn 2D animation. The punch you use to put holes in the paper are very expensive. Could you guys make a 3D printed cheap animation punch?

It's to expensive to buy one for me. Those things cost more then 600 USD.
Re: Could you guys 3D print a traditional 2D animation punch? [message #18370 is a reply to message #18368 ] Sun, 26 September 2010 14:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It is unlikely that you can do so at Shapeways. A punch would require a sharp edge, and in general, the Shapeways designs do not have razor sharp edges.

Now, if you have access to a metal grinder, you might be able to create something and then put an edge on it.

My concern would be the shearing strength of the Steel items from Shapeways. What you really need is a good carbide steel (strong), and Shapeways may be softer than what you need.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Could you guys 3D print a traditional 2D animation punch? [message #18418 is a reply to message #18368 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 12:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Since when does a hole punch cost $600? Or am I missing something here?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Could you guys 3D print a traditional 2D animation punch? [message #18425 is a reply to message #18368 ] Mon, 27 September 2010 13:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
you could check out online machine shops, they use CNC Mills which can get you the tolerance and clearance that you need for the die and punch. If you need any help, feel free to PM me and I will see what I can do.

Why are these punches $600?

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!

Previous Topic:Not able to Print my model in White Strong & Flexible material
Next Topic:Another Happy Camper, Generally

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.