Home » Support » 3D Printing » Cleaning Detail of its Gel gunk
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Cleaning Detail of its Gel gunk [message #18112] Tue, 21 September 2010 02:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar Atropos907  is currently offline Atropos907
Go to my shop
I have ordered a couple times from shapeways and am curious about cleaning detail. SWF is just too low resolution/bumpy for my taste but the transparent detail is acceptable. However the problem im finding is cleaning it of the gel.

Thus far methods tried have been soaking in hot water as this apears to swell some of the material, but it still requires mechanical removal. Water jets from oral irrigators dont seem to do much to clean out the 200um channels. a toothpick or soft plastic seems to work ok but its work intensive and can often damage the plastic.

So, anyone have any better ideas/methods.
I find the detail materials to be adequate for 1" starships as long as I can properly clean them, and recommend to customers as to how to clean them. Ive tried IPA 70% but I think it is slowly attacking the photopolymer. I havent risked a soak longer than 10 minutes.

Help???/ how do you clean out the high details. a method involving a soak and a tooth brush would be ideal but im finding one really has to dig into the 200um channels .

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Cleaning Detail of its Gel gunk [message #18116 is a reply to message #18112 ] Tue, 21 September 2010 05:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One of my customers is having very good luck with an ultrasonic cleaner, warm watter, and a bit of detergent.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Alumide strength & flexibility
Next Topic:Multiple materials possible in a color model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.