Home » Support » 3D Design » I need help with: Snap fit closures, Live hinges, and moving parts clearances
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I need help with: Snap fit closures, Live hinges, and moving parts clearances [message #17977] Fri, 17 September 2010 17:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar MatarazzoDesigns  is currently offline MatarazzoDesigns
Go to my shop
Hello, I really want to make a few interactive jewelry pieces, but I am never sure of what tolerances would be needed.

I can build these objects with a zero-fit tolerance in SolidWorks, but I know that they wouldn't work when printed. does anyone have any general tolerance or clearance measurements for 3D Printing?

Thanks!

Re: I need help with: Snap fit closures, Live hinges, and moving parts clearances [message #18468 is a reply to message #17977 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 01:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar brandon525  is currently offline brandon525
Go to all my models
I have a related question. I want to make a ball bearing and need to know how much space should be between the balls and the track. Thanks in advance!
Re: I need help with: Snap fit closures, Live hinges, and moving parts clearances [message #18473 is a reply to message #17977 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 02:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models

Based on my experience a total of 0.6mm will be just fine for all materials, with metal go for a bit more just to be on the safe side.

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: I need help with: Snap fit closures, Live hinges, and moving parts clearances [message #24578 is a reply to message #17977 ] Tue, 08 March 2011 10:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar blinky  is currently offline blinky
Go to all my models
Is there any more information about moving parts in SS somewhere? I'd like to make some russian-style rings which all fit together... I can make the model so they have plenty of clearance but in my head I can't see how this would be printed successfully.

http://weddingringsite.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/russia n-wedding-ring.jpg

Can this be done? I feel like what I read on Shapeways suggests it can but it seems illogical to me.
Re: I need help with: Snap fit closures, Live hinges, and moving parts clearances [message #24634 is a reply to message #17977 ] Wed, 09 March 2011 03:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Somewhere, it says that SS requires 10mm (or was it 10cm...) of clearance for moving parts. Then stated that pretty much, they cant do moving parts.

The reason is behind how the process works. The SS shape is created using an organic binder(glue). This model then must be lifted out of the area it was created (currently in a green state) without being broken. it is VERY delicate at this point in time (Think wet sand). It is then surrounded by bronze pellets and backed in an oven. The bronze wicks into the stainless steel and BAM! you have yourself a cool 3D Printed object!

So, IF moving parts were created, they would need to be put into the bronze with the correct clearance. This is something that the technician would have to make sure happened correctly, which is why they require so much clearance. (Im pretty sure its 10 centimeters).

Anyways, to answer the original question, 0.6mm should be enough, but it depends on the part. Holes tend to be smaller, shafts tend to be bigger. and sand paper works wonders (if you are very careful.

Good luck!

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: I need help with: Snap fit closures, Live hinges, and moving parts clearances [message #24709 is a reply to message #24634 ] Thu, 10 March 2011 12:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar blinky  is currently offline blinky
Go to all my models
Thanks for that, 10cm won't suit my design, I just changed the design now the parts won't move but that's OK.

Previous Topic:What's wrong with this model? Came out very expensive but is small
Next Topic:randomly disappearing objects after upload