Home » Community » It arrived! » Gold Art Deco Brooch
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Gold Art Deco Brooch [message #17930] Fri, 17 September 2010 02:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Inlite  is currently offline Inlite
Go to my shop
I received the print of my art deco brooch today!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/149440/louis_hay_brooch.html? gid=ug23490

It is a model of a facade decoration for our local museum originally drawn by a local architect in the 1930s. The actual facade was made as a simpler design so I thought Id make the more detailed version.

Original Drawing
index.php?t=getfile&id=5114&private=0

My model rendered
index.php?t=getfile&id=5115&private=0

And, the print from shapeways
index.php?t=getfile&id=5117&private=0

I think the print lost a certain amount of detail when it was smoothed for the polished gold effect but Im very happy with it! Very Happy

Re: Gold Art Deco Brooch [message #17935 is a reply to message #17930 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 03:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Congrats on a great , almost scrumptious piece! Smile

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Gold Art Deco Brooch [message #17940 is a reply to message #17935 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 07:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Whystler! It took a lot of tweaks to get it printable and it weighs a ton but my wife likes it and thats the main thing Very Happy I actually modeled the entire doorway in the frst place so maybe Ill work on making that printable as a desk decoration. theres no shortage of art deco in my town as we had an earthquake in 1931 and everything was rebult in that style
Re: Gold Art Deco Brooch [message #17946 is a reply to message #17930 ] Fri, 17 September 2010 09:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Stunning. I like a bit of Art Deco - there are certainly worse styles to build a town in! Wink

Andy
Re: Gold Art Deco Brooch [message #18501 is a reply to message #17930 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 17:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Very nice. Could I ask if you actually have a pin/clasp on the back and if so how you secured it?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Gold Art Deco Brooch [message #18508 is a reply to message #18501 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chris89  is currently offline chris89
Go to my shop
lovely, it came out very well. And gold is the perfect material to have this in.

I wonder though, isn't it pretty heavy?
Re: Gold Art Deco Brooch [message #18532 is a reply to message #18508 ] Wed, 29 September 2010 04:34 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
@ lensman, I secured a pin on the back with epoxy as I wasnt sure about soldering on top of the gold plate, its held up well so far.

@Chris89, I havent weighed it but yes it is heavy, less a brooch for a dress or shirt and more a brooch for a jacket or something with a little bit of stiffness to it.

Thanks for the comments!

Previous Topic:Slot car chassis
Next Topic:Chained Die D6