Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Metal finish suggestion
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Metal finish suggestion [message #17151] Thu, 02 September 2010 18:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar huan80  is currently offline huan80
Go to my shop
Gumball posted some images in the It Arrived forum of a couple of my dice designs after he antiqued them... They look fantastic. (You'll have to scroll down a bit in the thread to see what I mean.)
Is there any chance that Shapeways could offer some sort of weathering or antiquing as a finishing option for metals? I would like to be able to offer that look to my customers out of the box.
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17153 is a reply to message #17151 ] Thu, 02 September 2010 20:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aldog1301  is currently offline aldog1301
Go to all my models
That is good suggestion.

However, something more interesting would be some sort of hardening or annealing or carbon cooking. If it were possible to further harden the Stainless Steel, buyers would have many applications for this technique. Ex. Tool and Die Making, cookware, kitchen ware, industrial uses, mechanical uses, and further medical uses.

Thanks!
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17154 is a reply to message #17151 ] Thu, 02 September 2010 20:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Seeing shapeways is for Decorative purposes only, Making the parts harder to be functional or more functional wouldn't follow those guidelines. How ever the antiquing would add to the decorative nature of the pieces. Overall though I think it would be cheaper as a DIY. I keep hoping for a day when I can upload Post Production instructions to be printed and sent with my items.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 September 2010 20:21 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17163 is a reply to message #17154 ] Thu, 02 September 2010 22:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 02 September 2010 20:20

I keep hoping for a day when I can upload Post Production instructions to be printed and sent with my items.

As a thought, maybe you could link to something in your description. I'm planning to do something like that with my robot kits to help customers with assembly.

Andy
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17205 is a reply to message #17151 ] Fri, 03 September 2010 12:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ask Dizingof about people reading his page about his iPhone 4 dock. I guarantee, most will complain about how hard it was to assemble without directions. Now if they see a piece of paper in there box, they'll say "what's this?" and look to see that it is instructions.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17222 is a reply to message #17151 ] Fri, 03 September 2010 14:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Excellent point. I keep forgetting about people's reluctance to reading... Razz

Andy
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17224 is a reply to message #17205 ] Fri, 03 September 2010 14:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 12:45

Ask Dizingof about people reading his page about his iPhone 4 dock. I guarantee, most will complain about how hard it was to assemble without directions. Now if they see a piece of paper in there box, they'll say "what's this?" and look to see that it is instructions.

My Dock for the new iPhone 4 is really simple to assemble - just slide one part to another until you here a "click". That's it.

Yet , it would seem surfers don't really read the description of the model - i had to emphasize that buyer has to order the 2 parts.. but only 1 success so far with that.. other customers canceled.. Rolling Eyes

I will however test Youknowwho4eva's suggestions to overlay a text on the pics with instruction... (a picture is worth 1000's words...)

ex:
"Step 1 - Hold parts against each other"
"Step 2 - Slide part 2 into part one until you here a click"
"Step 3 - Insert your USB cable from the top all the way"
"Step 4 - Insert cable to the tiny hole in the back"
"Step 5 - You're DONE - Enjoy !"

Cool

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17225 is a reply to message #17224 ] Fri, 03 September 2010 14:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Back to the possibility of having Shapeways antique metal objects, does anyone else think that the extra expense would be worth worth being able to offer it as a finishing option on the site?
Re: Metal finish suggestion [message #17227 is a reply to message #17151 ] Fri, 03 September 2010 15:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think so. Especially if it's just a case of a coat of black in the recesses before polishing (possibly finished with a sealant), it probably wouldn't even need to be much more expensive, and I agree that while it's not hard to do with your own models, it would be nice to be offer the same effects to your customers.

Andy
Different Metals and Metal Finishes [message #17233 is a reply to message #17227 ] Fri, 03 September 2010 17:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aldog1301  is currently offline aldog1301
Go to all my models
Who says Shapeways is for Decorative purposes only? Read here in the "About Us". It is about making your 3D designs come to life. Why would they want to limit to decorative designs only?

There is much grander market for functional designs! And with that I prepose the addition of additional metals and finishes.

Stronger more functional metals and better looking, more functional finishes. And I am not saying decorative finishes only. But working finishes. Carbon adding, annealing, oil treating, there is more then 20 different things that can be done to metal to give it different qualities and finishes after it is sintered.

I hope this message falls on the appropriate ears!
Re: Different Metals and Metal Finishes [message #17236 is a reply to message #17233 ] Fri, 03 September 2010 19:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
aldog1301 wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 17:58

Who says Shapeways is for Decorative purposes only? Read here in the "About Us". It is about making your 3D designs come to life. Why would they want to limit to decorative designs only?

There is much grander market for functional designs! And with that I prepose the addition of additional metals and finishes.

Stronger more functional metals and better looking, more functional finishes. And I am not saying decorative finishes only. But working finishes. Carbon adding, annealing, oil treating, there is more then 20 different things that can be done to metal to give it different qualities and finishes after it is sintered.

I hope this message falls on the appropriate ears!

Well said.

Re: Different Metals and Metal Finishes [message #17251 is a reply to message #17236 ] Sat, 04 September 2010 06:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
There are now many items on Shapeways that are being used for more than decorative items including Dizingof's range, the Road Popper, and many more.

If Shapeways get enough request for more metal post production it will be added to the wish list.

Thanks.

Duann Scott

Re: Different Metals and Metal Finishes [message #17256 is a reply to message #17251 ] Sat, 04 September 2010 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
drscott wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 06:02

There are now many items on Shapeways that are being used for more than decorative items including Dizingof's range, the Road Popper, and many more.

If Shapeways get enough request for more metal post production it will be added to the wish list.

Thanks.

Hey Duann,

About the non decorative usage... just now i opened a "Yippee!" email .. someone just ordered 10 X of my Kitchen Stand for iPad ... Shocked

You gotta love Shapeways ! Cool

Cheers,
Dizingof

Re: Different Metals and Metal Finishes [message #17855 is a reply to message #17256 ] Thu, 16 September 2010 14:46 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I'm gonna bump this one again... I really want to see if there's enough interest in antiquing to warrant it being offered as a pre-shipping finishing option.
If you are interested in this option, or if you have any other thoughts at all, please weigh in.

Previous Topic:I appear to be ignoring people
Next Topic:What happened to my model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.