Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Break-a-way designs.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Break-a-way designs. [message #17341] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
I Have a design that i am thinking of doing. I want to have a randomly shaped hole in the center of a solid wall. So, I was wondering if I made a very thin wall on a design to be printed in Stainless Steel, say 0.02mm thick, Could I get it printed? Or would it be rejected out of hand?

Thanks for the time!

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Break-a-way designs. [message #17342 is a reply to message #17341 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
If it was just a thin wall and nothing else, you're out of luck. If it were properly supported... .02 mm is still very tiny, and I don't think Shapeways can do detail quite that small in Stainless steel. Though, if you wanted to do a thin wall inside some sort of frame and upload it as an experiment, I'm sure everyone would be interested in knowing the results. Smile

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Break-a-way designs. [message #17345 is a reply to message #17342 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Well the idea is to make a two layered design. The bottom layer would have a high texture design, The top layer would have a regular sized wall, then would go down very thin, so it would break during cleaning.. That way it looks like the hole happened naturally! Rather than a modeled hole. And I do plan on making a model for it.. I'm just still working on learning Blender Smile

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com

Previous Topic:Blender+Wireframe+Thickness of the wire
Next Topic:Mixed Media

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.