Home » Support » 3D Design » Break-a-way designs.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Break-a-way designs. [message #17341] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
I Have a design that i am thinking of doing. I want to have a randomly shaped hole in the center of a solid wall. So, I was wondering if I made a very thin wall on a design to be printed in Stainless Steel, say 0.02mm thick, Could I get it printed? Or would it be rejected out of hand?

Thanks for the time!

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Break-a-way designs. [message #17342 is a reply to message #17341 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
If it was just a thin wall and nothing else, you're out of luck. If it were properly supported... .02 mm is still very tiny, and I don't think Shapeways can do detail quite that small in Stainless steel. Though, if you wanted to do a thin wall inside some sort of frame and upload it as an experiment, I'm sure everyone would be interested in knowing the results. Smile

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Break-a-way designs. [message #17345 is a reply to message #17342 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Well the idea is to make a two layered design. The bottom layer would have a high texture design, The top layer would have a regular sized wall, then would go down very thin, so it would break during cleaning.. That way it looks like the hole happened naturally! Rather than a modeled hole. And I do plan on making a model for it.. I'm just still working on learning Blender Smile

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com

Previous Topic:Blender+Wireframe+Thickness of the wire
Next Topic:Mixed Media