Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Mixed Media
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mixed Media [message #17339] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Has anyone experimented with having two different materials in the same print? For example, Glass and Stainless Steel? Is it an option? or is it too difficult to add a model back into the printer?

Thanks,

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Mixed Media [message #17346 is a reply to message #17339 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 17:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
I don't think it's physically possible to have multiple materials in the same print, or even to add a previously printed piece into a second run of a different material. As the material is added a bit at a time, the first piece printed would have nowhere to go until the layers underneath it have been printed, so it would probably have to be added partway through the run, and I'm pretty sure that's not workable.

It is perfectly feasible, however, to have parts made from different materials which be assembled post-printing, like Dizingof's iPhone dock.

Andy
Re: Mixed Media [message #17370 is a reply to message #17339 ] Tue, 07 September 2010 03:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Ray,

it is true the sintering process will not allow for a part to be reinserted into another build.

Check out the YouTube videos of the processes to get an understanding of how each process works.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Shapeways

cheers

Duann

Duann Scott

Previous Topic:Break-a-way designs.
Next Topic:object resizes on export