Home »  » Shapeways Shops » offer smaller scaled models?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
offer smaller scaled models? [message #17260] Sat, 04 September 2010 14:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar UniversalJoint  is currently offline UniversalJoint
Go to my shop
Hi All.

I have rather large models (they fit within130cm^3 envelope) and I would like to offer "mini" versions.

Is there a way to do this without re-uploading all the models (there are 23) and re-uploading all the images, re-doing descriptions etc?

Also, is there a way to offer the full series of "mini" 23 models as a collection and (perhaps) just do the upload once as a collection?

I guess I could put them all in one file and upload them like that?

- Jon
Re: offer smaller scaled models? [message #17321 is a reply to message #17260 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 11:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Jon,

Unfortunately at the moment there is no scale option, the think was that it could really play havoc with an approved design failing due to decreased wall thickness when scaled down.

Duann

Duann Scott

Re: offer smaller scaled models? [message #17326 is a reply to message #17260 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 11:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Also, even if you only submitted the smallest possible version and scaled it up, the site would need to have a way of automatically working out the new volume of each possible upscaled version, so it could determine the price.

Andy
Re: offer smaller scaled models? [message #17329 is a reply to message #17321 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 16:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniversalJoint  is currently offline UniversalJoint
Go to my shop
Thanks Andy and Duann,

Super to have the help as I try and get up to speed.

Can I ask you then if there are any creative ways to think about offering a series of models as a "collection". At the moment I am thinking of doing something a lot like the old plastic car models where you had parts that had to be twisted off a cylindrical "armature" that held all your parts.

This way the models would all come together and they would have to be just twisted off the armature which you would discard. Is there a simpler way to sell a series of models if I scaled them all down to a good size?

I really don't want to have to upload them as scaled models individually as they are simply going to have the same images and documentation as the larger models...
--

Also, is there a good way to "segregate" models of different types on my site? I have mathematical models but would also like to upload other material which will confuse people.

At the moment I am thinking I need to open a different shop for this material (which I assume is OK).

Thanks!

Jon
Re: offer smaller scaled models? [message #17335 is a reply to message #17260 ] Mon, 06 September 2010 16:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
If you want to include several models in one file, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing that. It's basically no different from what I'm doing with most of my own models; separating them into their component parts, and adding a sprue so it's easier for the production crew to handle.

You can't open a separate shop on your account, but you don't need to. If you go to edit your shop, you can now add Shop Sections, and move your models into them.

Andy

Previous Topic:noobie questions.
Next Topic:Where to turn off download original uploaded file

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.