Home » Support » 3D Design » Audio to 3D
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Audio to 3D [message #16856] Fri, 27 August 2010 23:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
Any Matlab experts out there know of a method to read in a WAV file and output STL?

I could have fun with this.

http://www.everydaylistening.com/articles/2009/10/14/yesno-b y-carsten-nicolai.html
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16865 is a reply to message #16856 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 09:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Nice idea, it looks like a straight forward revolve of a screen capture.
V
www.dotsan.com

www.dotsan.com
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16867 is a reply to message #16856 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 10:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
It is fun Smile I've been working on a few similar ideas.
(rhythm and waveform base models)
I don't use matlab but custom tools, but this looks like a lathe of the waveform.

If you need something done, I can take a look.

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16870 is a reply to message #16865 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 10:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
I'm not a Matlab user, but googling I have found that Matlab has a function to read wavs: wavread(). Then you can make a surface of revolution from those data with cylinder() and use a plugin to export to STL.

Because a sound wave crosses the axis many times, you should apply an "absolute value" function to the data before making the revolution. Also a downsampling could be necessary to avoid the maximum number of triangles printable with Shapeways or because of the minimum detail of the selected material.
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16875 is a reply to message #16856 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 11:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
Yeah, I've seen wavread(), and I had the basic idea of rotating the resulting data to form a lumpy cylinder, but I didn't know about cylinder(). I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

I also had the idea of, instead of using the absolute value, rotating by 180 degrees and having a different top and bottom shape. Though in that case it might be necessary to split the wav into the positive and negative values.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully I can turn this into something.
Re: Audio to 3D [message #16876 is a reply to message #16875 ] Sat, 28 August 2010 11:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
You could also just add and offset:
For example: 6 cm + 5 cm * waveform.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:What does Hollowing mean?
Next Topic:Sizing the model correctly (AccuTrans3D)