Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Introductions » Greetings from South Arfica
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Greetings from South Arfica [message #16522] Sun, 22 August 2010 14:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar Stoneheart  is currently offline Stoneheart
Go to all my models
Hi to all Shapeways users,
My name's Phil, and I live in South Africa.
I'm a life long artist, Im currently using Blender for most of my artwork. I have been using Blender for about 4 years.
By profession I'm a Patternmaker. I have 30 years of real life model making experience.
I'm hopeing to explore 3D printing as an artist and a Patternmaker, and should have some models up for you to see soon.
I wish you all the best with your endevers and hope we get to chat soon.
Phil
Re: Greetings from South Arfica [message #16562 is a reply to message #16522 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 12:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Phil,

Can't wait to see what you can make up for us.

Welcome,
Mike

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Greetings from South Arfica [message #16567 is a reply to message #16562 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 14:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dapeeza  is currently offline dapeeza
Go to my shop
Hi Phil,
Welcome to shapeways. I'm a Mechanical Engineer / Designer living in Nigeria. Its nice to know about a fellow shaper from africa. Very Happy
Cheers
Re: Greetings from South Arfica [message #16568 is a reply to message #16567 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Phil,

welcome! Okay, I just have to ask: what does a Patternmaker do?

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Greetings from South Arfica [message #16595 is a reply to message #16568 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 01:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Welcome Phil!

Bart, they make patterns. Razz

Duann Scott

Re: Greetings from South Arfica [message #16598 is a reply to message #16568 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 05:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
They create shapes, and other related things like sprues, that are used in mold making and casting, so the final part is what was desired: not too small, too big, impossible to fill properly with the molten metal and so on.
Re: Greetings from South Arfica [message #16855 is a reply to message #16568 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 23:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Stoneheart  is currently offline Stoneheart
Go to all my models
Bart, Patterns are used as part of the foundy process used to produce cast metal parts.
Look at a car engine block or exhaust manifold. These parts were made by melting metal and pouring it into sand moulds.
Patterns are used to form the sand moulds so that each casting is the correct shape and size. How the meatal gets into the mould also needs to be considered as part of the whole process. Work is almost always to an engineers drawing of the part, suplied by the customer.
Foundries use sand with bonding properties to form the mould. When the metal has solidified and cooled the sand is washed away and recycled.
The main concern of the patternmaker are size changes due to contraction of the solid metal as it cools, how the mould will be formed, and the production of pattern equipment to produce the sand moulds.
Patternmaking also branches into other industries where a knowledge of moulding principals and model production are needed, eg fiberglass and diemaking.

Previous Topic:Hello all!
Next Topic:Hi

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.