Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » Viewing your Shapeways Models on your iPad or iPhone
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Viewing your Shapeways Models on your iPad or iPhone [message #16776] Fri, 27 August 2010 01:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar 4m3D  is currently offline 4m3D
Go to my shop
Just wanted to share a little tip with you all.

Want to show off your 3D low poly models to friends, family or clients before you have them printed? or even after? Have an iPhone or iPad? This may help.

First off I found an iPhone/iPad app made by Rhino3D. http://www.irhino3d.com/en/ This lets you show off 3DM files (Rhino3D native files) right on your device.

I happen to have Rhino3D but do not model in it. The software I do model in can export .OBJ or .STL files that Rhino can import and then re-save as 3DM files.

BINGO!!!

This app also lets you have access to your Google Docs. So... I uploaded the 3DM to my Google Docs account and downloaded it to my iPhone using the app.

Works like a charm.

I don't have an iPad... but I am sure this would work awesome!

Todd
www.4m3d.com

[Updated on: Fri, 27 August 2010 01:43 UTC]

Re: Viewing your Shapeways Models on your iPad or iPhone [message #16818 is a reply to message #16776 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 14:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
here's the question: is there anyway to get 3DM files w/o rhino3D?

I use solidworks & inventor, so i don't think i can export to obj, but stl is no problem.

And i did try out the netfabb app and was happy it worked, but wish it was an ipad native app w/ better resolution and better shading to help define model better.

looks like the irhino app has pretty good shading/resolution, and its a universal app so should look much better on the ipad, i just need to figure out how to get files to it...

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Viewing your Shapeways Models on your iPad or iPhone [message #16826 is a reply to message #16818 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Jeff...

Well not that I know of. I do know that the demo of Rhino3D allows you 25 saves...so I guess that means 25 models you could have in iRhino.

I will keep looking around...

Todd
www.4m3D.com
Re: Viewing your Shapeways Models on your iPad or iPhone [message #16829 is a reply to message #16818 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 14:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Jeff...

I found this product from Sycode... 3DM Export for SolidWorks http://www.sycode.com/products/3dm_export_sw/index.htm

It's not free.. but there is a 10 day trial and it looks like it cost $250.00 US ish for a Subscription Licence.

It might do the trick... and its not too expensive.

Todd
www.4m3D.com
Re: Viewing your Shapeways Models on your iPad or iPhone [message #16830 is a reply to message #16829 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
good find, thanks for looking! Got some options to try out. might start w/ the rhino demo, i've been wanting to try it out...

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Viewing your Shapeways Models on your iPad or iPhone [message #16853 is a reply to message #16776 ] Fri, 27 August 2010 22:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
You can also use netfabb on the iPhone.

Previous Topic:Q re email
Next Topic:material preview

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.